Is GE Silicone II safe for my aquarium??

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost done with my 40breeder setup and need to silicone the overflow. I picked up some GE Silicone II from Home Depot... It is 100% silicone and doesn't say anything about any mold inhibitors.. I'm pretty sure i've used the same stuff on my aquariums before, but I never noticed the part that said not for aquarium use. They don't carry aquarium safe silicone at lowes or HD here. But if it's 100% silicone and doesn't have any added chemicals then why wouldn't any work?? any thoughts?

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure you are ok as long as there's no mold stuff in it.

I just read up on this myself and decided not to use the GE. I ended up buying the silicone that bulk reef supply sells. I was told that you can get aquarium silicone at petco as well.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't worth it. You are going to spend more than $10 for a fingernail frag of a coral, just spend the extra money and pick up an AGE silicone from your LFS. I purchased a silicone 6 years ago without any mold warnings and it ended up killing more than $100 worth of frags.

This is one of those money saving moments that is not worth it. Spend the extra $5 for the AGE tube and forget the risk.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
II has the mold inhibitors in it, I think. I is the way to go, the window one with no mold inhibitors.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 100% silicone product that is FDA approved without any additives.

For example GE Silicone I is a safe brand, but Silicone II is not because of the additive. This is the one from Home Depot, not sure if Lowes carries it.

DAP 100% silicone works well too, just make sure it is the one that is 100% silicone with no additives.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes , dont use the one with the mold inhibitors , i use GE silcone for windows and door and i make sure its the one that doesnt have the "mold inhibitors" i forget which one is which I or II , i just check the lable.

Last edited:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOOO If you use II it will nuke your tank. I knew someone that used it and they had this clear slime all over the place. You must use I for GE.

OP
OP
Mr E Wrasse

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all done, here's the finished product :) Now I'm just waiting for my LED's
IMG_0044.jpg

pardon all of the dirt, i still haven't cleaned the underside of the tank after i drilled it

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone II

Oh no I used silicone II. Which has mold inhibitor! Now what?
I don't have any live stuff except for pods and worms in my live rock.

Wolffa83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT use silicone II

I know this thread is a few years old but I just mistakenly used silicone II for aquarium decorations I made and want to make sure absolutely no one makes the same mistake I did! I first started noticing mass deaths in my baby tank (one day after putting decoration in) and the next day fish in my main tank started looking weak and were listless at the top of the tank. I thought maybe it was because of the rocks I used until I stumbled upon this page: Database Of Aquarium Safe Silicone (Add Your Aquarium Safe Product) - General Aquaria Discussion - AlbertaAquatica Silicone I is safe but the I has the mold additive as mentioned above. Please don't use this in your tank! My fish are covered in a white glue like substance and are slowly dying. I feel awful!

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowes has aquarium safe silicone. It's almost twice as expensive though. I'll check Dr. Fosters & Smith and Amazon for better pricing.

DAP 2.8 oz. Silicone Aquarium Sealant-00688 - The Home Depot

Ad-
PRODUCT OVERVIEW Model # 00688 Internet # 100128841 Store SKU # 686064
DAP 2.8 oz. Silicone Aquarium Sealant is ideal for constructing or repairing small aquariums. The 100% silicone-rubber formulation provides a waterproof seal that won't crack or shrink. It is non-toxic when cured.
California residents: see Proposition 65 information
100% silicone rubber is non-toxic when cured
Can be used for patching tubes and hoses and attaching plastic or ceramic accessories
Mold- and mildew resistant
Flexible sealant won't crack or shrink
Meets ASTM Specification C 920, Class 25, Type S, Grade NS
--------------

Petco has the small tube of aquarium sealent from All-Glass for $7.69

Walmart has Loctite,(which I like their automotive products) but only says it's Ph safe for aquariums, nothing about mold additives. $5.50

Last edited:

jarguess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT USE GE II. I use GE I all the time with no issues. A few weeks ago I mistakenly grabbed GE II to build a new sump and it killed almost all 24 of my williamsi blue lips. Lost all my breeding colonies; very expensive mistake!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back