Reef Aquarium Fact #111 Chillers aren't always necessary, fans can keep a tank cool.

Do you use a fan or a chiller to keep your tank cool?

• Fan

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Chiller

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • None

Votes: 31 35.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #111

Chillers aren't always necessary, a few fans can keep a tank relatively cool and stable also.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

241224.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I myself use this fan and have it positioned over the sump and hooked to my controller to come on and off at the appropriate tepratures. Works better than a chiller because it's cheaper!

Pros: Cheap and easy
Cons: Higher evaporation rate

51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I had bought a chiller for my frag tank last year and didnt even need it once i added a fan. My tank stayed stable at 78. I picked up a small fan at home depot. Set it up blowing across my sump. Before adding the fan tank was in mid to upper 80's.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes more evaporation. I have the same evaporation during summer with fan as i do in winter. My frag tank is in basement so in winter the forced air heat i have in apartment causes evaporation. I think because furnance.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been in the hobby forever and never used a chiller. I have used fans on a ranco controller and they have always been enough. I have always had air conditioning in the rooms with my reefs.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a "both" option in the poll. My chiller is there for backup, on those hot days when I'm not home, so don't run the A/C.

justd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.
I bought the same fan that rev has pictured and has kept my tank at a constant 78 degrees. I set it up to blow the hot air produced by my scrubber lights out the back of the cabinet. Prior to adding the fan my tank fluctuated between 78 to 81 degrees.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our chiller is under our house - keeps unwanted heat out of our garage in the summer time and no noise. We also use a couple of fans which do help decrease the amount of time our chiller must run.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller are a definite must for sps tanks during summer months as a backup in case home a/c goes out. Also fans should also be blown across the top of the tank as there is a cloud of moisture that inhibits evaporation and can retain heat in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fan during the summer, which is zipped tied above the sump and connected to my Apex. It'll easily drop the temperature a few degrees.

I don't have much of a problem any longer since switching to LED though.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my BASEMENT! It is always cool down there, and keeping the sump down there is a "free" cooler. Of course there are other advantages, the biggest draw back is the use of a larger return pump.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very true! My tank was heating up to 80 everyday and I put a fan at the top to blow over the water's surface and now it stays where I put the heater temp at- around 76-77 (It was down to 75 but I brought the temp up).

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself use this fan and have it positioned over the sump and hooked to my controller to come on and off at the appropriate tepratures. Works better than a chiller because it's cheaper!

Pros: Cheap and easy
Cons: Higher evaporation rate

51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

rev,that is not a fan,that is an electric supercharger LOL

I only use fans to cool my tank,they are also controlled by my controller,high evaporating rate is the only down side...I use a window AC unit to help keep me comfortable as well :D

Munkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the guys complaining about evap from fans use some clip on fans and have them blow on the back glass they will cool the tank without actualy blowing dust and anything else floating in the air into the water..

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live, a chiller is a must. Summer around here can get pretty brutal! My tanks are lit with LEDs, but it's like buying insurance. Better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It also helps to have air conditioning in your house. :D

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Phoenix and I do not keep my house very cool, especially during the heat of the day while we are away at work.
The first 5 years of my 9 year old SPS dominated tanks life I had a 1/4HP chiller. I had 2x250w MH and 2x140w VHO in a totally enclosed canopy.
I started experimenting with fans and found two little 120mm, 53 CFM Vantec Stealth computer fans did just as well as the chiller. In fact they did so well I had to put them on a variable voltage DC power supply to slow them down as it was getting too cool. I also had and still have a WalMart clip on fan like in the first post on this thread over my sump, at first on a Rnco Temp controller but now on my RKL controller.
After two years of my chiller NEVER coming on by itself (I tested it manually sometimes just to make sure it still functioned) I sold the chiller and the Ranco Controller. Fans work wonders even in hot humid months when the yare placed correctly.
I did lots of experimenting and through the years found on my totally enclose canopy, a fan in each end, both blowing in, and equal sized exit holes in the roof of the canopy above the reflectors worked the best by far. It als otook advantage of natural convection and even cooled and moved aire when tghe fans were not on jut because heat rises naturally and sucked cooler dryer air in the sides.

Today, I don't even run the fans. I sold the MH and VHO lighting and installed two AI Sol LED's and the temp never gets above 78 even in the summer.

I was convinced chillers were necessary but today know that is not the case. By using more efficient pumps, combining functions on the pumps so I now have fewer pumps installing cooler lighting and using convection my tank is more stable than it has ever been and to top it off my power bills are 40% less than they were two years ago due to the more efficient equipment.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i closed off my fish room put an ac in the window and keep my tank consistantly at 78 degrees during our warm summer months i also have 4 4"fans on my tank and 2 4" fans on my sump

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back