Refugium Deep Sand Bed Rottening

typicalwhiteazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo I used old sand from a previous refugium to add onto another 60 lbs of live sand when making my Mangrove Refugium. 22 x 22 x 10 frag tank, 6 inches of sand and 250 mangroves. For the past few months I've been pulling out dead mangroves seedlings that have failed to sprout for one reason or another and there's an obvious smell of rot. Dunno what to do about this 'cause I feel like even though the refugium is completely separate from the main system. It might be polluting the tank even though the mangroves themselves are thriving for the most part...

So my MAIN concern would be whether the mangrove refugium is polluting back into main system due to the rottening sand.

suggestion?... i'm thinking of shutting it down entirely and re-establish a new refugium separately and reconnecting it back into the main system when its finally cycled....

here's a pic from 3 months ago.. Now, it has alot more vegetation and another 100 mangroves packed into it.. probably why many of them are being suffocated and dying..

IMG_1354-1.jpg

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try thinning out the number of mangroves. That's ALOT of mangrove in that area.

OP
OP
typicalwhiteazn

typicalwhiteazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, planning on it... trying to scheme whats the best means to do it without damaging/killing 'em.. hate to remove 'em and watch all the leave wither and such

Back