Pros vs Cons: Rimless Aquariums vs Traditional Braced Aquariums

Pros vs Cons: Which type of aquarium do you prefer?

• Rimless Aquarium

Votes: 239 72.0%
  • Traditional Braced Aquarium

Votes: 93 28.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pros vs Cons: Rimless Aquariums vs Traditional Braced Aquariums

Traditional braced aquariums have been around since the dawn of time! Ok not really, but a very long time. One type of aquarium that has really become popular over the last few years is the rimless tank or braceless tank. From experience I know that there are pros and cons for each type of these types of aquariums. But I want to hear from you and what you feel to be the good, the bad, and the ugly of these tanks. :D

versus.jpg

DOI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never really seen a pro for rimless other than aesthetic preferences. Braced tanks are just that and offer that extra strength in case of a knock. I hate looking at a water line so for me I prefer braced anyway. You can also place things on top such as a sea swirl without having to worry about banana peeling the rimless seams.

will2525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless looks clean with just a light hanging over, and is really easy to work in the tank. Your not going to keep a canopy on the tank so known jumping fish aren't a smart idea.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be going rimless on my nano, I have a couple standard rimed tanks, and the top screen has definitely saved a few lives. Jut be sure to hang your light, and keep jumpers out, rimless tanks are sweet.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumpers aren't a problem... I just slap a screen top over mine. The only issue I've personally had with rimless tanks is salt creep at the top of the glass above the water line - you do have to clean the top portition of the glass every now and then to keep things looking nice. Cleaning the glass near the top you need to be careful so you don't slosh water over the edge too, but not a really a problem.

The only big problem - if the tank is poorly constructed the seams might be a worry.

If you like the rimless look but want bracing there is always eurobracing.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the slightest work in the tank on my rimless cube causes water to slosh out of the tank. I hate it, and will never own another rimless tank. Just cleaning algae becomes a surgical chore...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have a problem with water sloshing out of mine.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my wrasses too much to ever own a rimless tank.

Typed from my phone because I have nothing better to do.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a problem with water sloshing out of mine.

Then you are really really REALLY careful, because everyone I've ever talked to with a rimless tank has the same complaint, to some extent. I think it's really bad in a small tank, FWIW.

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I was looking at the rimmed version but I would be much more interested in the rimless. thanks for the info

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that a lot of snails don't stay inside rimless tanks!! All my nerite snails escaped! When I realized they were gone, it was to late!

LOL! me too! haha

I've found...as with anything in this hobby..It truly depends on the scale, equipment utilized, inhabitants kept etc etc...

Although IMHE I prefer tanks that have some sort of bracing for these reasons:

-Esthetics: With a rim you do loose the water line depending how the tank is set up; I've slotted my new 120g so the water line does lie below the rim level, (the water level is ~3/4" below rim) but this is subsequently covered by the canopy I've created.

-Functionality: When I constructed my first acrylic tank I went rimless and found that when working in the tank sloshing was always happening and when I ran my arm along the rim to "squeegee" my arm of residual water it just dribbled down the front panel. That got on my nerves REALLY quick! With the rim on the oceanic tank Im currently running I am able to do this without the dripping!

IMHO I think rimless is practical at or under 30g but anything larger I would stick with design incorporating a rim!

.02 cents

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my rimless. I like to see the waterline, especially with vortechs on NTM.
Looks sleek, no heat issues and can raise and lower my light at will.
Actually easier to clean my glass and place corals without the canopy in the way.
I do like braced tanks too. I guess I'm just not a fan of canopies.

Back