TOP 10 Skimmers for Saltwater Reef Aquariums on the Market

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok we'll let the R2R world decide who's got the best!

Let's start off by making a list of the skimmers that you think are the best on the market whether it be for a large tank or nano tank. They just have to be GREAT!

After we compile a list we'll have a poll.

Thanks. :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post a pic of the great skimmer if you have one.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus SRO-SSS3000-INT. LOVE IT!!!!! Below shows it with the Reef Octopus auto head cleaner :)

2011-04-03_15-38-02_529.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for great skimmer ideas!

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble king skimmers!!! Here's a pic of my mini 180, I now have a deluxe 250!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338750120.527164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody else believes in their skimmer?

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warner marine MFK 251! I recieved this from Jon Warner a couple weeks ago! This thing is a skimming machine!! And really quite! Love it!!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my MSX cylinder skimmers, even in today's cone market... I have owned the MSX 160 and MSX 200 running both mesh and needle wheel pumps. There probably is better out there, but if it isn't broken...

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to post the MAME skimmer but VaporCountry beat me to it. Seriously though.. 1 gallon or 100 gallon, MAME skimmer will work just as good as any other skimmer on the market. I made one out of an 20oz soda bottle with a wooden airstone (under $10 total) and it worked just as well as my $300 bubble magus NAC7 skimmer. I don't use skimmers myself anymore though but that is another topic in itself. Skimmers are not complicated or require some special secret design to work, it is just a container with lots of bubbles in it that stuff sticks to in order to get removed. There is only so much stuff that can stick to a bubble and it has been proven over and over that all (working) skimmers do the same job, whether it cost $10 or $1000. I say "working" because there is crap out there like the Sea Clone and Red Sea Prism that are just horrible and you spend more time adjusting it to get it to work properly than you do emptying the cup.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to post the MAME skimmer but VaporCountry beat me to it. Seriously though.. 1 gallon or 100 gallon, MAME skimmer will work just as good as any other skimmer on the market. I made one out of an 20oz soda bottle with a wooden airstone (under $10 total) and it worked just as well as my $300 bubble magus NAC7 skimmer. I don't use skimmers myself anymore though but that is another topic in itself. Skimmers are not complicated or require some special secret design to work, it is just a container with lots of bubbles in it that stuff sticks to in order to get removed. There is only so much stuff that can stick to a bubble and it has been proven over and over that all (working) skimmers do the same job, whether it cost $10 or $1000. I say "working" because there is crap out there like the Sea Clone and Red Sea Prism that are just horrible and you spend more time adjusting it to get it to work properly than you do emptying the cup.

Yea I really like the fact that there is nothing to break or go bad on the glass wood air stone skimmers. You do have to clean them often and replace the wood stones about every 4-6 weeks though.

Gnome Glass makes some larger ones, I think I am going to give one a try on my next build. The Mame ones are nice but very hard to get in the states and I believe they only make the one size.

Last edited:

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWC xtreme cone series. I've got a 160 on my cube. I love it

i've had a SWC HOB and the 160 cone. love it. i haven't had a big enough tank to justify a larger model, but i'm a fan of the line, especially considering they don't use a sicce 2500!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my deltec MCE 600 for my 55 reef. It is a skimming beast. The skimmate smells nasty and my nitrates have never been lower before adding this beast.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back