Apex verse Reefkeeper Elite

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me decide which controller to order? I want to put my reef on auto pilot so I can take a vacation and be able to monitor and adjust from my iPhone. Being said that it must control all lights - lunar, actinics, 10,000k, and grow bulbs on 2 seperate refugiums. Monitor and control heat. Run 2 tunze pumps for wave maker. Pump for the over tank fuge. Feeder and feed cycle- shut down all pumps and turn return pump back on before the skimmer. Monitor pH. well that's all folks. Thanks ahead of time too.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex IMHO! you have a maximum 200 feet per connection which means you can run multiple tanks with add on modules. Ever device you spoke of above can be managed from the Apex with modules added. The cost is more for the Apex over the ReefKeeper but ive had both and Apex again IMHO wins hands down.
There is a learning curve for the Apex over the ReefKeeper and many stay away due to that, but Apex has a online support community (A REAL ONE THAT RESPONDS THAT DAY!) to help with ANY and ALL questions. I've had my Apex running now for a month and I wouldnt go back to the REEKEEPER. Mind you the ReefKeeper is a good system but for control and i mean TOTAL CONTROL via Iphone, Ipad, internet, Windows O/S Apex is the way (IMHO).

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks man that's the way I was starting to lean BUT do you know what modules I'll need on top of what comes with the kit other than a float switch, pump module, and extra power supply?

Dave A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those were my only two choices, it would be an easy decision for me. Apex by a mile. I have not used either of them myself but I have talked to owners of both systems and there's no way I'd ever buy a Reef Keeper of any sort, there are just too many problems and there seems to be little or no support. I'm not even convinced that Digital Aquatics will be around much longer, they show the signs of a company that is in serious trouble. I'd be afraid that their support may soon go from "nobody get's back to me" to "the number you have dialed is no longer in service."
As I said though, I haven't used either one. When I picked a system for my 90 gal, I went with something else, Apex would have been my second choice based on what I've stated above. I'm now setting up something for another tank and I'm doing something different, but again, Apex came in second this time too. The big difference is that the DA product was in consideration the first time, now I wouldn't even consider a used unit at a low price. I just have no faith in the future of DA's products.

Cyber-Burn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reefkeeper elite and it has worked fine. If it were me I wish I would have got the Apex. I can control most everything with my Reefkeeper but I really would like to control my Vortechs and Radions more than just the on/off control I currently have.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned both and Apex is a far superior product. Also worth noting that I had terrible customer service from Digital Aquatics and would never purchase or recommend one of their products.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks man that's the way I was starting to lean BUT do you know what modules I'll need on top of what comes with the kit other than a float switch, pump module, and extra power supply?
For what you said above go for the Apex it has the EB8 power plug, the base unit has both the Ph and ORP which the ORP and be used as a second Ph monitor and it comes built in with V1/V2 & V3/V4 for full led management and other devices. The Jr and Lite Apex are also solid but has less function and if purchased would require more modules to compensate for what the Apex does.
ONE EXAMPLE:
You purchase the Apex and you want to also control another tank you run a USB or other type of cable to that tank connect it to one of Apex expansion modules, login to the apex or do it manually at the base unit, create a name for the new module then under that profile manage the equipment for the second tank. That's just one example and the Apex main model handles up to 240 connections!
The system is based off of IF statements but not complexed formulas but simple ones, I have found when I want to do something I write it down as shown in the online manual they have to write out what I see and this has worked to ensure I'm not telling the lights to turn and off at the same time and not making me hate my investment.
There is so much you can do and on a acreage for my fellow reefers who also has one its about a 2 week curve to understand the proces, I set mine up in my living room and plugged three different color lights into it plus some small fans to simulate different items I wanted to control in my tanks. (Day1) Then stared seting up the Internet and remote access from the house (Day2) access remotely, (Day3) fans control, (Day4) light control, (Day5) Ph probe setup, (Day6) full run of everything and timed lighting and fan controll both locally and remote access via Internet. (Day7) transfer and setup in fish room. With just Ph and temp control and monitoring, (Day8) heaters and pumps control and monitoring, (Day9) light control and adjustment, (Day10) remote access via remote access and control this including on/off controll, rewriting IF statements to ensure success, (Day11) Rum and Coke, (Day12) fine tuning, ((Day13) created fake power outage to see if the Apex system would respond according to programmed instructions, (Day14) Auto Topoff setup and testing.
All in all several trips to Apex Community website and received help within a hour for every issue that solved the issue.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm def going with the apex but now what all doin need far as components? And has anyone used the netgear wifi extender to hook up and have wifi on the apex?

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi is very doable regardless of model your concern is static ip when using wifi. if set correctly you will have no problems. I suggest you go to the Neptune Systems Community and pose the question now to see. Also look over their diffent modules and what each does then look at your tank and place what you need where. i took mine to paper to ensure i had what i needed and all questions i asked on the Neptune site above.Please post and let us know what your over all choice is.

sleeri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own both. Apex is a great controller, but I think it's a little more "techy" than the RKL. If you are comfortable with PCs / programming, you'll love the apex. If you want something simple, go with RKL.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first controller had a issue out the box with calibrating the Ph probes and the temp probe. I called them in the morning spoke with a love tech in California for 30min of testing the system. Then they sent me a brand new one within 4 business days. The online Apex Community Forum is outstanding. I spent from 5min to once 3 hr working out a issue via the forum but not like the forums that were on when you ask a question and find out things you don't need or want or someone high jacks you thread and starts talking about what's important to them and never helps you. These guys get in there and to the point. I have to agree its a little more geeky than the Rk but the Apex is a better product all the way around.

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I believe I am going with the Apex and for that reason that's all I hear is good about Neptune. Seems to be the better unit. So once again in life you get what you pay for. Lol. Thank for the help and insight

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime and if you have any issues make sure you use the online community forum it's truly is the most helpful and direct plus fastest source for question or issue. "Keep Reefin"
Dtech07

OP
OP
T

tonysearsjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah for sure. I've already downloaded the app to my iPhone and signed up with an account lol. Be ordering the 15 hope I get that next Monday.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I just set up a second camera one for the display and the other for the Refuguim and its ROCKIN. Enjoy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back