Building a Tank Stand

scags101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so im new to the whole SW tank stuff and my FOWLR is still cycling since it just started 3/11/13. My trouble is that my tank is in a secure place but the stand its on is kinda shaky. I would like to know if 1. can i build a stand around the old one and then move the old one out kinda like a braceing system and build the new stand around it, or 2. just build a new stand, then drain water and relocate the tank and such.

personally i would like to see if i can just brace it and put the main load bearing parts of the new DIY stand in and then build around it. I wish but if that is possible please get ahold of me.

Need to find some good plans also on a DIY stand using your standard Mendards board and screws. Ideas? Please help. Frustration

OP
OP
S

scags101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when in doubt i'll just build it then move the tank to it. I'll have to do this in the summer though as winter in duluth, mn us such a pain

OP
OP
S

scags101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of using angle iron as the inside bracing then put just nicely looking cabinet wood around it ... will that hold up or should i stick some 2x4 in there or use 4x4 for the legs and 2x4 for the cross section with angle iron to support the wood ?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with #2….build a new stand and drain and move the tank….it’s still “new†and cycling.

The other reason I’d build new is that I do not like the standard height of commercial stands (32 inches). I like my stands at 36 to 38 inches high so that I don’t have to bend over to look into the tank.

Here is a nice plan for the supporting structure of the stand. With you having a four foot tank, standard 2 x 4 dimensional lumber is more than enough to support the tank…..no center brace needed. If you wish, you could then skin the stand with ¼ inch plywood or with whatever you wish. This stand will support a car!

ReefcentralStand.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back