• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex, so i am biased...never tried the reef keeper but I have heard good things. I was told the probes are a little better for the apex, and USB is definitely faster than phone jacks, I don't know how much of a difference in this case the USB makes but it is faster.

armani4o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex hands down. Just do a search on all the rk products and you will see for yourself. Bad customer service and lots of problems

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say all the bells and whistles would be ideal with the Apex but it would come at a huge price as well.
personally I run a RKL because it suited my needs and is simple. Not to mention it is considerably cheaper than the Apex.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say all the bells and whistles would be ideal with the Apex but it would come at a huge price as well.
personally I run a RKL because it suited my needs and is simple. Not to mention it is considerably cheaper than the Apex.

Not than an apex jr.. Id go with the apex hands down. Fantastic customer service and you cant beat the capabilities.

OP
OP
J

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some good info here. im glad to see everyone is responding. i know most info can be found if you do the search all over the web. but if im part of a forum and there are lots of users on this forum y should i do a search that can take for ever to do and still not answer my questions. its easier to ask questions on here and get all the answers. everyone who is giving answers thank you. i really need the info cause im thinking for an apex but want to see what everyone thinks of them both. the more info the better.

thank you everyone
please keep responding

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex, in full agreement with above posters. Much better customer service, much better product line, MUCH more innovation. Apex Jr is an AWESOME new device for entry level controllers, full Apex is a beast.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have owned both as well and the Apex is my choice. Both are good controllers though.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently using RKE for my system. So far so good. Haven't had any issues. Hooked up my pumps, lights and heater as well. PH and temperature probe being used as well.

SteveT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reef keepers on my systems (lite and elite) and I like them, haven't had any troubles. But with how much people are saying they like apex I might try an apex for my 90G frag tank I just set up

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe you guys went there with this one. :D

I will keep it short:

I have owned both units, as well as an RKL. The Apex is a much better value, IMO, but it really comes down to what you're wanting to do as to which is better for each person. The Apex includes more with the base package, though.

Having said that, an RKL is not much more than buying a few timers and is a great piece of equipment for the money. However, once you start to want a pH probe and a few more features, its price to performance ratio diminishes pretty quickly.

Brandon

Last edited:

manoverboard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been trying to setup a ph and orp probe on a rke for a couple of weeks on the sl1. Im having some kind of grounding loop i cant get straightened out yet .Also the ph reads lower on my rke than on my pinpoint using the same types of probes calibrated the same way and using the same fluid.A couple of weeks ago the rke shut down my main pump for no reason which wouldn't have been a big deal except my heater was in the sump,caught it in time though.Never owned a apex but couldnt be any worse than a rke.Id buy the apex

Back