Orange clown changing colors

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plain clown that I added to my tank that has had a black clown for a long time. Now the plain clown is starting to turn blotch black in the orange area. Im also pretty sure that the black one is a female and the orange one male. Im wondering if the male (black one) is trying to change black to be more desirable.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plain clown that I added to my tank that has had a black clown for a long time. Now the plain clown is starting to turn blotch black in the orange area. Im also pretty sure that the black one is a female and the orange one male. Im wondering if the male (black one) is trying to change black to be more desirable.

Would need to see pics to really say for sure but I'm willing to bet you have zoanthids in the tank. The zoas, or a similar coral, is stinging the clown and causing the spots. They usually fade.

OP
OP
Eckolancer

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of zoas in tank. Both clowns are hang out near frag rack that only has sps on it. Also never heard of a zoa stinging clowns.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I don't think the color is changing due to it wanting to look more like the black one but could be possible. Both ocellaris and percula can develop more black. Both can have splotchy patterns as well as smooth lines and full color. Every clownfish is a little different. Clownfish can also change color as they mature and as they get stressed. There are also corals and anemones that can have an effect on coloration. I like to see how the colors develop. One of the coolest things about clownfish.

OP
OP
Eckolancer

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369103981.922789.jpg

Here is an older pic of the clown he is pretty old. I will try and get a recent pic of him.

Back