Clownfish are finally breeding

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do it, COB might know better than me but I have 10 pairs and some spawn and some dont. I wouldnt put one pot from one stall into another. I think 86 is a little high, I have all of mine at 82.

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do it, COB might know better than me but I have 10 pairs and some spawn and some dont. I wouldnt put one pot from one stall into another. I think 86 is a little high, I have all of mine at 82.

Yah same here, not a big fan of 86. 82 works perfect for me..or them. I think a pair would eat the eggs that didn't belong to them..but I have never tried so don't really know.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at 82 and 1.020 for a while now , just getting fustrated , I feel my fish are not eating as well as I would like them too, or even as often the wster parameters are perfect and the food i feed is pure, I've tried everything just not fattining up, im about to call it QUITS.

ignatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if taking a pot with eggs from a pair amd placing it into another pairs tank would cause a currently non laying pair to start back up. i have a picasso pair that i bought that have laid and has been many months without any luck on my end, what do you guys think. would this freak out the pair i stole from and would the new pair eat or just be confused?

This technique is called 'Double Down'. Have you ever heard of the Lightning Maroons? We can thank 'Double Down' for kick starting their laying eggs! Here's a link to the post if you want to read for yourself.

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article it was cool love that lightning maroon I might try it I got nothing to loose. I have to hope the last jest was on the glass, ill have to watch where she's hanging out and put something there

ignatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its tough. I swear, I've wanted to quit more times than I care to remember. The thing is though, that's just one type of change and its the final one at that. Your posts make it sound like you've accepted the fact that something has to change; I encourage you to try changing all the other factors before throwing in the towel. You run at 82 now... there's nothing wrong with that number but why not try 78 or 80 for a few weeks? You run at 1.020 now... why not try running at 1.025 for a month or so then lowering it back down. You feed them like athletes now... why not try skipping a day ot every other day of food? They aren't laying in pot... try a tile or a rock. Wild clowns make nests in the summer months when water temps are high, salinity is low, and food is plentiful so by changing these parameters you might trick you fish into thinking the seasons are achangin'. There is no magic formula or secret ingredient (expect PE Mysis, its magic for sure) so change the things you can control and raise the eggs you have now. Put in the work, good things will happen.

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks.for.the kind words man, yeah ill give things a new spin

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope we all hear some good news soon! I wanna see those Babies!! I hope I can get my Extreme Snowflakes spawning!! Good Luck!!

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i up,d my salinity to 1.022 and lowered temp to 82, ill keep it here for a while and see how it does i might even change the light cycle currenly i have it coming on at 10am and going off at midnight maybe ill mimic the sun and give them more time to sleep

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i swapped pots with eggs today , at first they didnt even know there was eggs, then the female was tending to them, but the male showed little interest. that lasted for about 5 hours then i they started just eating all the eggs, by 7pm all the eggs were gone. the original parents were fra,ing out in tank for hours very spaztic and darting around tank. not sure if i confused one pair and may e screwed up another but we will see, as this is a learning curve, maybe another pair would tend to the eggs?

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i swaped eggs again with a darwin pair and they seem to be tending it, unlike the picasso pair that ate them in 2 ours. so maybe it will work with these

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out he Darwin pair is taking care of all the eggs, they all have a nice dark color and all the eggs placed in are still there, seems the fertilizing male doesn't care.for them, he is always mouthing and pulling at the eggs. He Darwin mouths the eggs but gently unlike the other beast.

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live in bucks county anyone have a fertile male snowflake i could mix with a female ocellarius so i could practice raising fry, the stupid male i havenwith her nownjust eats the eggs, i know itsnhim becuase i moved the pot of eggs to a darwin pair and they watchednthe egss and they hatched without any dieing

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's got to be frustrating, but reading your progression was enjoyable. Keep it up!

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i am frustrated been a while an no real success been doing it by the books and keeping it stable, i have a Picasso pair I'm about to put in another system and try something completely different. im not sure if i just bought other breeders crap or fish just do t want to spawn not sure.had a darwin pair for a year now and nothing from the female. currenly looking for. snoflke clownfish to pair with a regular ocellarius clown if anyone local to Philly/ bucks lmk

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing you have to realize with designer clownfish is they are defective and sometime massively in-bred. Sometimes they dont make good parents or the eggs and fry are not viable or much harder to raise. There is a reason this stuff is rarely seen in the wild. I am not saying some of these designer clownfish can not be bred, I am just saying there is a greater chance they wont be able too or not be good parents..
When you start breeding I suggest using a easier to breed clownfish and one with no defects for your very first time and get seasoned. Also try and get one parent from two different breeders to help protect against in-breeding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all i need is an older male does not have to be huge but at least a year old, the males in your posts are they of age? i have a breeding clown just want to swap the male with a snowflake male of at least a year old. lmk

ILikeClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it ever paired with anything or not. The only way for me to confirm it would be to stick another, larger clown with it, to determine if it is still a male. I'll let you know after I experiment

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently swapped the male clown fish for snowflake they seem to have taken to each other pretty quickly we will see if she spawns this time. I have also set up for more tanks so that each of my parents have their own tanks hoping this will cause some spawning in the future

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back