Breeding Clowns

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some i have a pair of black clown, Ive had them since June or so and they were a fresh shipment to my lfs, and were very small so I'm assuming young. I would like to start breeding them and was wondering if anyone anyone could tell me about how old clowns are before they start mating. they took to each other like white on rice, and the female is about double the size of the male currently.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snow onyxs were around 11 months when they started laying.I was told they were 5 months old when I purchased them.They were about 1'' long.

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know how to encourage breeding also. My clowns have been a pair for almost two years now and no laying?? :( should I add a clay pot in there?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The clay pot gives them a flat surface to lay their eggs. It can also be a flat rock or a piece of acrylic. They need to be in a tank of their own to encourage breeding.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't need to be in their own tank but it makes it easier to control their environment to help get them in the mood. Heavy feeding, higher temps, longer light cycle, and lower salinity will help get them to lay but none of which would be good for a reef tank. There are plenty of people that have had them lay in a feed but that is just the luck of the draw. My picassos didn't start laying until they were about 3yrs old but they were part of a system tied in to my reef. I've read about clowns breeding as young as a year old.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back