Raising clown fish

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He guys my pair of clowns laid eggs 2 weeks ago for the first time. the male ate their first batch of eggs, which I believe is normal with new parents. So im planning to raise the next successful hatch hopefully and update this thread as much as possible to help newbies like myself and to get help if I get stuck. So I guess I'll start off with showing my setup. the parents are in a 125 gallon reef tank and I plan to keep them there so that they aren't interrupted. Im going to be raising my clown fish in a 10 gallon tank and rotifers in a 5 gallon bucket. Here's my whole grow out tank setup
20150130_231040_zpsrplykbbi.jpg

I marked the gallon marks on my 10 gallon tank and 5 gallon bucket to make it easier to do water changes
output_zpsgdestxrj.jpg
output_zpszbt3ficb.jpg

I also added a spigot to my 5 gallon bucket to also make water changes as easy as possible, you can get the spigot on ebay for about $3
20150204_235314_zpsxoqbp5bc.jpg
and here's the parents with the eggs laid on the overflow box 2 weeks ago
20150122_152923_zpsiqaryjxu.jpg

I'll try to add more details and pics to what food im using and hopefully of the eggs they might lay today.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got everything laid out nice.Wished mine was that neat and organized.I have just started to try my hand at clownfish,just waiting on my eggs to hatch.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got everything laid out nice.Wished mine was that neat and organized.I have just started to try my hand at clownfish,just waiting on my eggs to hatch.
Yah im trying to keep this project as clean as possible. Let's see how long that lasts.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 16 days from the first hatch and they laid eggs again but there aren't as many. Is it common for the male to eat the first couple batches?

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male ended up eating all the eggs. Any ideas why? Is this normal?

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using the 5g bucket with the spigot for? Trying to figure out how that helps water changes.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using the 5g bucket with the spigot for? Trying to figure out how that helps water changes.
The 5g bucket is where my rotifer culture Is going to be and you have to do about 30% water changes daily so the spigot makes it a clean and easy water change.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the female clown fish was supposed to be laying a clutch a couple days ago but I'm not sure if she laid it because she's been hiding behind a rock every time I go near the tank and I can't see behind that rock so I guess I'll just wait about a week and look out for any fry. The female has been seeming very parnoid lately and would dart behind the rock when I come near the tank, is this normal?

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she laid again today on the overflow box and I'm thinking this one should be a successful batch because the male didn't eat the eggs this time and he has been cleaning and fanning them the whole day. I Guess we'll see in a week.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Clowns just layer their 4th clutch today. The 3rd clutch was doing good and changed color but disappeared on hatch night with no baby clowns around and I'm almost positive that the shrimp ate the eggs. But I'm hoping this clutch will be successful.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs finally hatched and I caught about 40 fry but most of them went straight to the bottom of the tank. Any ideas why?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back