Compact Rotifer Culture System

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just finishing my larval rearing system. One of the things I decided to try this time was a way to grow rotifers sold my Reed Mariculture/APBreed. Compact Culture Systemâ„¢ (CCS) | APBreedâ„¢ – Hatchery Solutions for Aquarists, Propagators and Breeders
I paid for the first one and ordered extra Rotifer Floss. I then built a second one. I would recommend if you DUI that you still use the floss.

Here is the Culture Kit from Reed Mariculture/APBreed

Just the aeration and filter piece:

With clips mounted in the bucket:

MY DYI replacement:

I then built a screen to fit over the bottom out of size 5 mesh screen from a fabric store. I stitched it together with zip ties and clamped it onto the hanger.
Here they are side by side:

My advice is to buy the Rotifer floss as it was developed for this type of application and everyone I have read about thinks it works very well.

modify_inline.gif

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job. I never really thought of diying this even though it's so simple

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The setup from Reed works very well, but a 5 gal bucket grows far more rotifers than I need. Also the Reed model with the green bucket clips is much more difficult to work with than my DYI that just sits on the bucket top. When I harvest I have to remove the clips and bar to get access. With my DIY you just push it to the side. Much quicker and easier.
Either way, if you rinse the central filter once week and wipe down the bucket with the floss, you have almost no other maintenance except a weekly 25% water change.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipe and air stone go to the bottom of the bucket.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use for the mesh? it looks like the needlepoint plastic screen stuffs you buy at walmart.

I am about to do my own rotifer cultures so we can raise clownfish. I would like to DIY as much as I can.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a mesh that is sold in fabric stores. It is backing for woven designs. It comes in many sizes. I have been using it since 1998. It may be the same as you are talking about.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the benefit of using this setup? I've just use a rigid air line in a 5g bucket swapping it out for a clean bucket once a week with the water change and I've never had any issues.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes the maintenance easier. Daily you strain rots using a sieve. Weekly you do a water change by wiping out the bucket with floss and rinsing the floss on the tube. No second bucket or daily maintenance.

Sctip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain to me how you start your cultures? I mean the you feed phyto right? do you culture that also, and will the phyto feast work for starting cultures for phyto?

Do you buy Rotifers first then culture them after that?

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experimenting with rotifers over the last several months and feel pretty confident that I know how to grow them. My first advice is that you will just have to try using the best info you have and see how it goes. My first order of 1 million did not survive. It was a day late arriving, but I am not sure that was the only problem. Next I ordered 200,000 from another supplier and they were the small “s” type. I put them in the bucket and added about as much algae green water as was in the bag. I then waited for the green to decrease before I added more green water. I was adding about 250 ml of green water each morning and evening. I just kept adding until the water came to the top of the filter media. At that point I started weekly 25% water changes and filter cleaning. Every morning I would run about 2 qts. of water from the bucket through a 53 micron sieve and either feed my other tanks or throw them out. You must feed consistently and harvest consistently.

Once I had the culture stable I started a second bucket for practice. I fed both cultures green water I grew, but I also used RG complete as a substitute for the green water. I used six drops vs. the 250 ml of green water interchangeably. If you have any problems with green water or have a culture fail, it’s real easy to use the RG complete, except for the cost.

I was gone for about 2 weeks and let both buckets just sit covered. After sitting about 2 months, I siphoned off most of the water in the bucket trying to leave any gunk in the bottom. I then added small amounts of green water over the next several days and finally the color started to lighten. I did this just for experience, as it’s a pain growing rotifers if you don’t need them right now.

The time it takes in the morning and evenings is about 5 min. but you have to remember and be there. Its can be a drag. The weekly water change may take less, if you use the floss to clean the bucket in place. Remove 25% of the water, reach in and wipe down the bucket, pull the filter, rinse it off, and put it back. Replace the water with 1.020 salinity.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing anything special to your water for sterilization?

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my brood stock tanks at the same salinity, so I can use my water change water. I have an RODI unit. I don't sterilize anything. I do use acid to wash my green water bottles and tubing.

Adam Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of PVC T fitting is that and what diamiator is the pvc pipes? And did it come pre drilled? If possible could you make a parts list. Thank you

Adam Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of PVC T fitting is that and what diamiator is the pvc pipes? And did it come pre drilled? If possible could you make a parts list. Thank you

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back