Any Success With Mandarins?

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting up a 55 reef tank and want to know if anyone has ever tried breeding green mandarins or any dragonets for that matter. I plan to introduce some pods to my tank soon so they can start breeding for the dragonets. I would like to try breeding these fish and maybe teach the fry (if it works) to eat flakes or brine shrimp. Anyone know specifics on how to go about doing this, or maybe tips on keeping them too. Thhank you for your help!

Jake Levi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had pairs of Greens and Spotted spawn in reef tanks, trick is to capture the eggs which I never did as I didn't have foods or time. They will spawn readily if they have proper food, not only pods but a full range, gamarus, etc you name it, that's their normal diet. They will also eat enriched adult brine shrimp.

I am right in the middle of a move, but once settled in I am going to set up a 29H as a reef tank for Mandarins. Just for them. Its high enough for their spawning rise, and it will make a good coral tank also. Hopefully by fall I'll have some mandarins spawning.

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback! I was beginning to think nobody on R2R had done this! :)

Jake Levi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are one of my favorites, and of the tanks getting set up and cycled theirs will be one of the first. If, all goes well I hope a week from this weekend.I was going to also put them in the bigger tanks but will give them their own, along with some shrimp and other smaller residents.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are pelagic fish and so do not care for their eggs. They require a very tall tank so they can make a mating run vertically. They release their eggs at the top of the run and both dive back to the safety of the reef. The larva are very small. There have been several successful attempts to raise them, but I believe they had to capture plankton to raise them.

Jake Levi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, that's why I said the trick, first, is to capture the eggs. Then the real fun begins. It will be. This is a species that really needs to be captive bred, so many are captured and then starve to death under not meeting their needs. Slowly that is turning around, I could easily see a ban on importing .

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what is the best way to capture the eggs? With an eye dropper? Just carefully moving them into a container?

Jake Levi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what is the best way to capture the eggs? With an eye dropper? Just carefully moving them into a container?

That's one way, ateap cup works well, while you are there to see them, there are also various snaggers that are in use, helps for when there are spawns after you have gone to bed. So many of the eggs are extremely hard to see so the snaggers have much to be said for them. I am looking for different versions now. I am considering modifying an overflow return box with a box added to the front to allow eggs/larvae to collect without going on out.

bioteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost our girl and just have not found a nice looking replacement. Most stores seem to only get the boys in. The two we had never cared much for each other anyway. They stayed at opposite ends of the tank and never seemed to cross the mid line. Maybe some Barry White would have helped :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one off of craigslist with a whole setup that I purchased it was a giant red mandarin and he ate frozen foods. Had him for a year until my heater died...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost our girl and just have not found a nice looking replacement. Most stores seem to only get the boys in. The two we had never cared much for each other anyway. They stayed at opposite ends of the tank and never seemed to cross the mid line. Maybe some Barry White would have helped :)

This is the only place I've found that lets you buy male/female: https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=670&cid=16

I got my pair from them about 3 years ago, but I haven't ordered from Bluezoo in over a year. I've heard their customer service/shipping techniques have gone downhill, so Caveat emptor. :neutral:

Emery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can purchase a tank raised and/or mandarin that eats frozen prepared foods?

manny mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of target/spotted mandarins i had the female first and got the male 3 months later and boy did they fight it took 3 attempts as the female was the aggressor i put her in a breeder box in tank and after 24hrs he dominated her and peace there after on the pod front i bought a reef shot of phytoplankton to encourage the pods already in tank to breed seemed to work

Back