Royal Gramma breeding pair

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of royal gramma's in my 180 reef tank that laid eggs in my protein skimmer return sponge that was being use to reduce bubble return in the tank.
The wave maker knocked the sponge loose after the eggs were in there for a week so. I placed the sponge in a 1 gallon acrylic at the bottom of the 180 and
held it there with the magnetic cleaner, the male returned to the nest that night with some hesitation and ripped the eggs loose from the nest.
There was approximately 50 eggs in the sponge that had larva in them, I believe they died because he pulled them loose and did not tend to them anymore.
The male went off and built a new nest in the back of the reef out of sight now and the pair are tending to it currently.

I am not sure if the fry will be able to survive in the tank without separating them from the other fish but one can only hope,

If they were successful with the new nest and I have babies I will post pictures.

-Mark

OP
OP
nsrogue

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a few for the tank when I started over about 8 months ago and got lucky on the pair.
The male is still guarding the nest in the back but still have not seen any babies.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a few for the tank when I started over about 8 months ago and got lucky on the pair.
The male is still guarding the nest in the back but still have not seen any babies.
This is so awesome! I love when ever someone gets a fish that is not a normal captive spawner to breed!

OP
OP
nsrogue

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no fry

The pair of fish are still showing signs of breeding but no sign of babies yet.

OP
OP
nsrogue

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baby gramma's

We have baby fish swimming around in the live rock now, I have tried to get some pictures for you guys to see but the fish are so small and fast not staying in the open I guess to keep from getting ate by the 4 cromis.

I have been feeding roti's in the area I have seen them swimming, The male fish has been guarding the area where the babies are hanging out chasing the other fish away.

I will try and post a video of them later on.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should contact ORA lol I bet they would love to get their hands on a breeding pair of them. If you raise them, I call dibs on one!

OP
OP
nsrogue

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seeking advice from breeders

I would like to know if any breeders could let me know if there is anything I need to do other then feeding the fry
to assist with the survival.

Thanks.

chiblackhawks4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure with Gramma's but with clownfish the fry stand little chance of survival unless they are separated in their own tank.

OP
OP
nsrogue

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frustrated

We are not seeing any of the baby fish anymore :squigglemouth:, I am working on getting another tank to separate the gramma's from the main display tank.
I think this is going to be a pretty good undertaking trying to get them out of the tank since they are always in the back rockwork.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are not seeing any of the baby fish anymore :squigglemouth:, I am working on getting another tank to separate the gramma's from the main display tank.
I think this is going to be a pretty good undertaking trying to get them out of the tank since they are always in the back rockwork.
I think if you want the babies to live, that is your best bet

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Neon Gobys that are laying eggs and hatching larva. I can't get them out of a rock and so I try to catch the larva with a snagger. But that is not as easy as it seems as you can't see the eggs and judge when they will hatch. If someone knows how to get fish out of a rock, let me know. I am losing patience and may have to demolish the rock, but that may injure either of the fish.

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Neon Gobys that are laying eggs and hatching larva. I can't get them out of a rock and so I try to catch the larva with a snagger. But that is not as easy as it seems as you can't see the eggs and judge when they will hatch. If someone knows how to get fish out of a rock, let me know. I am losing patience and may have to demolish the rock, but that may injure either of the fish.
If you bother them they may even stop laying. So I would just wait and check daily for the fry.

OP
OP
nsrogue

nsrogue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a 65 gal tank to put the gramma's in but getting them out of the 185 is not going to be easy

any suggestions ?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they all spread out or mostly in one area? If they are concentrated in one area I would suggest a water siphon or a net. If they are spread out......well best of luck to you lol

Back