save the babies!

Saucychick56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of clown fish. They lay eggs every two weeks. It makes me sad for the babies to become fish food or sucked up into my filter. Is it feasible to have someone who is equipped to grow the fry pick them up from me when they hatch? I would like to give them a fighting chance!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha if I was in the area I would! Clown fish breed like rabbits. You will have this problem as long as you have them, why kind of clowns are they?

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you; sort of.

My pair of true perculas just laid their first batch of eggs last week and they should be ready to hatch tomorrow night. I don't have the time or resources to go any further with the breeding process, but it does seem like a shame to give up on the hatchlings.
I really don't want to remove the clownfish from my display tank and trying to get them to lay the eggs on a tile would be nearly impossible, so I'm left with just letting the clownfish do what they do.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of clown fish. They lay eggs every two weeks. It makes me sad for the babies to become fish food or sucked up into my filter. Is it feasible to have someone who is equipped to grow the fry pick them up from me when they hatch? I would like to give them a fighting chance!

Does not work that way . larvae would have to be raised in the same tank water . If you use other then your water the larvae would die . Once they become fry then you can use new mixed water . It`s lots of work but fun to see 300 babies swimming together .

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you raise fish you have to cull and cull. One pair of clowns can have several thousand eggs a year. How are we going to handle the millions of clown fish we will have if we can save the babies?

Roczero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be willing to trade designer clownfish that I have bred myself for these breeding clownfish that you have. I am all setup any have been raising the babies for fun and wanted to give another pair a shot. I am also willing to buy your breeding clowns if you didn't want to trade for others.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back