Birth control for clownfish?

jd628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question, but is there anything I can do to get my clowns to STOP laying eggs? I've had them for a couple years without any issue then just before this past Christmas they had their first batch and ever since then it's been nonstop. I think we're up to batch 11 or 12 now. Even if I wanted to try and raise them I couldn't because they lay them on the glass in the corner (same spot every time). It wouldn't be such a big deal but they get a bit feisty when the eggs are there...I haven't been able to clean the glass there in weeks

I tried moving some rocks around hoping that would throw them off for a bit but no such luck. Any ideas?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps try changing the lighting schedule.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch them, you can put them in a separate tank for a few days.

OP
OP
J

jd628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather not have to take them out of the tank if I can help it (not set up with a spare empty tank at the moment). I will play around with the light schedule though and hopefully that will help

I do enjoy the little buggers, they're usually quite active and fun to watch (tank is in the eating are of our kitchen). I'd just like them to calm down and not try to attack if I happen to have a hand in the tank for some reason

jofost1216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting a piece of tile, or rock or anything wheee they lay them and as soon as you see the eggs take it out and see if they forget about it in a day or two

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny to hear that u had 3 batches in a months when u dont need and need a birth control...lol. when others reported failures.
All options above r good to try...my bet would be taking em to the ocean, let mother nature takes care of that....JK.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing I had your issue

Solution. Buy a preditor that will eat their eggs. Or use a brush to remove them. collect eggs for fish food. Or give the eggs away once fertilized.or maybe isolate them (fish and eggs) Use Egg crate to do this. Good luck :wink:

OP
OP
J

jd628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find a long handled bottle brush and clean off the eggs last week and so far no new eggs. Hopefully the cycle has been broken for a while. Unfortunately the female is no less aggressive...I was trying to do a bit more cleanup yesterday and she went for a serious bite. She either has a serious grudge or is just a real jerk

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you are experiencing a biology lesson. once they start laying, the will protect the next. eggs or not. its just the way they are. nothing short of re-homing them or a tank redo will disrupt it for any length of time. and once they establish a new nesting area, she will become protective again.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine attack my hands even without a nest -- as soon as they host an anemone, they protect it. They tag me and it startles me but it doesn't hurt - why not just bully back there and do your thing?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1^ The only thing that would stop them would be changes in their environment which would be bad for the rest of the tank inhabitants. And at that it would only be temporary.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back