Fish ID: Sharknose Goby?

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this fish today and was told it is a Sharknose Goby but most of the info I have been able to find say they max out in size at 1.5-2 inchs. The guy I got in this picture is a hair over 3 inches and seems to have a lot of yellow in his coloration, not just around the head as seen in most pics and description. Anyone want to confirm that this is a Sharknose, or possibly something else? Given the size disparity and the color variation I am wondering if the labeling was accurate.

Goby1.jpg

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also most of the Elacatinus evelynae I have found seem to have a notch in the top (dorsal?) fin but this guy's is uniform and tall all the way down.

250px-Elacatinus_evelinae.JPG

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is most definitely not a sharknose goby, it is not a goby at all, but rather is a mimic fang blenny. It mimics cleaner wrasses so that it may swim closely to fish and then take a bite out of them. It should not be kept with other fish.

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there goes my trust in that LFS, they sold me a harmless cleaner fish that turns out to be predatory. Thanks for the ID.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be too hard on the LFS on this one. This fish often comes to stores mislabeled, and even a lot of hardcore reefers wont recognize it because they really are not all that common in the hobby.

It does make a cool occupant in a nano tank, because they always come out and greet you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back