Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Green Chromis / Chromis viridis

skinz78-albums-r2r-fish-database-damsels-picture16526-scan0005.jpg

Scientific Name - Chromis viridis

Common Name - Blue Green Chromis

Size - 3.5" ( 9 cm)

Min. Aquarium Size - 55 US Gal. ( 208 L)

Foods and Feeding - Feed a varied diet, fresh, frozen, live, marine fare for carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores. Feed min. 2 times a day.

Reef Compatibility - Excellent.

Captive Care - Keep in groups of odd numbers 5+, single specimens tend to be harassed by tank mates and do not fare as well as a small or large group. Aggression of the dominant specimen will be subdued in a group rather than just a couple specimens. Chromis tend to occupy the upper open water of a captive system and this is a plus for more recluse tank mates, in order to maintain the vibrant coloration offer enriched foods. Will readily acclimate to captivity, keep with less aggressive tank mates, provide adequate swimming space, and feed a varied enriched diet. (Lacks the black at the inner base of the pectoral fins as does the Blackaxll chromis).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may add... chromis are highly susceptible to a parasite called Uronema marinum. It's those little red sores they seem to get sometimes.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been itching on getting a school of them, i got to wait until my move from San Diego, CA to Portland, OR.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried schools of them three times. One time I got 13 of them.

Works great for a while, then they slowly dwindle over a year or two.

For whatever reason, many of us have found they do not actually do well long term in many cases, with hypothesis relating to poor collection, fighting between them, and other issues.

Anyway, I've given up trying to keep them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried schools of them three times. One time I got 13 of them.

Works great for a while, then they slowly dwindle over a year or two.

For whatever reason, many of us have found they do not actually do well long term in many cases, with hypothesis relating to poor collection, fighting between them, and other issues.

Anyway, I've given up trying to keep them.

Same experience here (over the last 5-10 years). It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother with these fish anymore.

The weird thing is 20+ years ago I used to keep large schools of these in my tanks (and clients' tanks) and never had this problem. I would love to know what's changed about them. For example, are they being collected from different areas nowadays?

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three in my 40B, one of them got bigger than the other two and became quite aggressive, it would mercilessly chase the other two into hiding.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience here (over the last 5-10 years). It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother with these fish anymore.

The weird thing is 20+ years ago I used to keep large schools of these in my tanks (and clients' tanks) and never had this problem. I would love to know what's changed about them. For example, are they being collected from different areas nowadays?

Is the tank size larger or smaller from the tanks from 20+ years ago? I wonder if it is tank size or stress from being around other types of fish in small confines?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank size larger or smaller from the tanks from 20+ years ago? I wonder if it is tank size or stress from being around other types of fish in small confines?

20+ years ago: Clients' tanks ranged from 75 - 400 or 500 gallons. My own personal tanks I kept them in ranged from 57-180 gallons. All were QT'd and treated with copper for 1 month.

Nowadays: I've tried schools in a 57, 120, and 150 gallon. All were QT'd, and some treated with copper; some with Chloroquine phosphate. Most died in QT before I ever got them into the DT. The only difference with the copper is back in the day I always used Coppersafe - now I use Cupramine.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He thinks he's hiding.

Chromis-Hiding-2.jpg

By the way, instead of C. virdis, I'll only go with C. atripectoralis or the Black Axil Chromis these days. They look almost identical. The axils however almost always arrive in better condition and they are far more peaceful.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2555.JPG
IMG_2558.JPG
Old post new question. I have these in pairs in two tanks no issues. One of them gets what we call his Halloween mask on at times. At first though it was trauma he stayed like the for a couple days. But eventually went back to normal. Now every once in awhile he will continue to do this some times for minutes some times for hours. My question is has any one ever seen this happen before? Not the best pics but let me know what you think.
same fish in both pictures.
Thanks in advance.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back