Red Fish, Blue Fish, Dr. Seuss Fish! (Belonoperca pylei)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Fish, Blue Fish, Dr. Seuss Fish! (Belonoperca pylei)

One of the least likely fish to appear in your LFS is the Dr. Seuss fish. In fact, you will not find but an extremely limited amount of information about this particular species on the internet. Scuba divers are not even lucky enough to encounter these rare creatures without exceeding dangerous depths that require special equipment. The Dr. Seuss Fish actually lives with an amazing assortment of rare fish, some not yet identified! A colorful assortment of chromis, groupers, and even the extremely rare Peppermint Angelfish hang out down here with Belonoperca pylei.

They say pictures speak a thousand words, well this fish speaks a thousand words that rhyme. Named after his cartoonish appearance, the Dr. Seuss Fish is quite a character! The form of its body is like a barracuda-grouper-wrasse combination and has a very goofy pattern of yellow, reds, and blues. Polka dots are a sure fire way to show that you mean business. The fish also has blue eyelids that stand out in a way that makes his eyes look like they are bulging out like a cartoon. The Dr. Seuss Fish is only one of two members in the Belonoperca genus but they are completely different in coloration.

1.jpg

image via reef2reef sponsor Pacific Island Aquatics

The care level for these fish is considered NOT EASY. It resides over 350 feet below sea level in Micronesia in the deep reefs. The Lighting should be fairly dim, and mostly actinic lighting. They like to have overhangs to hang out under and wait for food. The fish is considered peaceful with the correct tank mates, but even a Pajama Cardinal will eat a fish if it is small enough. The Dr. Seuss Fish is a predatory species, but only grows to three inches and are aware of it. Some predators have eyes that are larger than their mouths, like Lionfish for example. They do well with large peaceful fish that they cannot swallow. Keeping the water temperature around 68 degrees Fahrenheit is very important. A hot Belonoperca pylei is a dead one. They like most frozen foods and live alike. They benefit from a variety of both.

These fish are very unforgiving if you let one expire unknowingly. They put off a nasty toxin that nukes the whole tank if it is not removed as quickly as possible. With that said, these fish are only for expert level aquarists. Skill level is not the only requirement. These fish are limited to a small handful that are already taken. Even the Smithsonian Institution has first dibs on the one at Waikiki Aquarium, but not until after it naturally dies of old age! The others reside in Japan in private aquariums. So how did these places acquire this fish? $10,000! This is not the most expensive fish that has ever sold if you can believe that, but it is still quite impressive. Some of us do not even have tanks that cost that much, even fully stocked.

2.jpg

image via reef2reef sponsor pacific island aquatics

In all reality you will never own one, at least not any time in the immediate future. Even if you have ten grand to play around with, the fish is just not available. Natural observation is a couple hundred feet out of reach for the average diver. The equipment to survive at those depths is much more expensive. Luckily, the most recent capture was in shallow water! The fish was found in much shallower water than they normally live. This also eliminated the risk for decompression problems that are an issue with all deep water creatures.

Maybe these fish will become more available when they can be bred in captivity. As more and more pop up, the cost should eventually level out to only a couple thousand dollars per fish. If you live in a small town or a part of the world with limited variety you may never see one of these fish in person. The Dr. Seuss Fish is a serious rarity that must be appreciated for its entirety. There is not much information on this fish at all, but there are people that know about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10k? Perhaps in other countries, but that price is WAY off base in the US market.

And a mention of what being a "soapfish" means would have been nice; it's not necessarily problematic when they die either.

Last edited:

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are sweet!
-I saw a fish hunting for new fish to the hobby
-in Palau, on the Island of Yap...
-they were deep diving ect.... to find new species
Dr. Earle was on the boat with a few other "well noted" reef fisherman
-when the caught the 1st specimen of this cool new fish
-first name was "creamsickle grunt", but I like the new name too!!!

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah there was one in DD for about a month or two and it was under $2k. sure is an interesting looking fish.

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are sweet!
-I saw a fish hunting for new fish to the hobby
-in Palau, on the Island of Yap...
-they were deep diving ect.... to find new species
Dr. Earle was on the boat with a few other "well noted" reef fisherman
-when the caught the 1st specimen of this cool new fish
-first name was "creamsickle grunt", but I like the new name too!!!

i think your referring to the BBC documentary, with R. Pyle, L Earle and Brian Greene on rebreathers collecting....back around 07. good documentary.

i have a knock on the listed temps in the articly tho. 68 is a bit of a stretch as far as water temps to keep this species. I personally seen the last species collected in "shallow" waters here in the marshall islands after it was caught, and have to tell you there's no way the water temps, even at depths gets to 68 degrees.

i offered to buy it jokingly.....

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Seuss in the Bedroom - Reefs.com

Dr. Seuss in the Bedroom

Posted on October 4, 2013 by Josh Saul
640x424xBBC_9960-L.jpg.pagespeed.ic.LPZhVMikB8.jpg

There has been a strange sense of romance across reef dwelling animals of late, with reports of very large spawning events we do believe, love is in the air. It seems a few people have taken on some interesting breeding projects, including this one by Rich Ross, the Dr. Seuss Soapfish Belonoperca pylei. Rich reports that the fish are sleeping together and fingers are still crossed for no bad behavior between them. Stay tuned for further updates and see our next post on the frisky lightning maroon clownfish.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super cool looking fish! I want one!

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read I know a few yrs ago DD had one and my wife fell in love with it. Would love to see in person but I don't think I want to keep one.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky enough to have a great lfs a few minutes away and I've seen two of them in the past 8 years. They certainly are awesome to see up close

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow beautiful fish I love the head shape and patterns!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now being captive bread...
I believe you're thinking of Rainfordia opercularis by Todd. Unless I totally missed something, these have not been bred in captivity.

These have become very difficult to come by. Unfortunately the main collector, who was in Majoru, recently passed away while diving for these deepwater fish :(

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back