Cue the Tang Police! What is the minimum size tank you would keep a tang (surgeonfish) in?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cue the Tang Police! What is the minimum size tank you would keep a tang (surgeonfish) in?

***input welcome, flaming not welcome** ;)

Tang20police20copy_zps838fb056.jpg

image via ultimatereef.net member inselaffe

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species, and the tank dimensions. Tangs swim constantly in the wild, so tank length is more important than volume (within reason). Smaller tangs like Ctenochaetus spp. are OK with 75 gal or larger (4' length). Smaller Zebrasoma spp. (Yellow, Purple) are OK with 125 gal (5' length), while larger Naso spp. need a very long tank - 8' minimum IMO.

Fishtankery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the size of the tank is only part of the equation.

Let's use a Paracanturus Hepatus (Blue Tang) as an example:

>They can be skittish fish, so it's going to need a place to hide. Sufficient rockwork with plenty of hiddy' spots that arent occupied by other fish will go far in minimizing the everyday stress of the fish.
>They get huge - very quickly. Especially when they're fed right. This should be taken into account.
>Long tanks are better than square. They like pacing around and are swimmers. If there's an territorial aggressor in the tank, they'll need an area where they can get away.
>Stress kills Blue Tangs. Keep this in mind when introducing one to your tank. More often than not they'll get sick before any other fish.

I had one in my 120 gal for a few years. He did alright, however a Yellow Tang caused him too much stress after a while, and I eventually surrendered him to the local tank shop.

In hindsight I wouldn't get another Blue Tang unless I had a 180 gal, and a rock area that I knew the fish had staked as it's own.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I’m in agreement with Deinonych.

I hate to see those that claim their tang (as example a Hippo), is doing fine in a 40 gallon because it is eating. That fish is flipping out and stressed because it doesn’t have the swimming space. Just because a fish eats doesn’t make it fine. Think big if you want tangs! JMTC

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hippo is perfectly happy in my 72 bow. He doesnt freak out, swims around and has a place of his own in the tank. Remember tangs swim alot in the wild grazing, in captivity they dont have to swim so far to get a meal.

DragKnee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like a Bristletooth Tang - 60g minimum

I do plan on getting a tang for my 80g reef. Cue the tang police. Not sure which type though.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 hippo, 1 yellow, 2 scopa and 1 powder blue tang in my 120 long (60x18x24) and they all are happy. I also have a wp40 at one end shooting across the wide open front of my tank. The hippo loves swimming into that current. I agree with others, it is not tang to gallon being an issue, it is more of a tang to tank lenght situation that should be considered. My hippo also has his rock 'garage' that he sleeps in at night and hides in when startled. They share the swimming area with 2 foxfaces and a clarkii that is as big as the rest of em.

leemajors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after i reading this .. i need help i have a 48x36x24 rimless
with a scopas tang
yellow tang
and a kole tang
i would like to add a purple and a powder blue
CAN I MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after i reading this .. i need help i have a 48x36x24 rimless
with a scopas tang
yellow tang
and a kole tang
i would like to add a purple and a powder blue
CAN I MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!

I wouldn't. You're likely to get aggression between the yellow and purple tangs (and likely the scopas), both being conspecifics. Powder Blues are very aggressive and will wreak havoc in a tank that small. IMO.

Last edited:

leemajors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. You're likely to get aggression between the yellow and purple tangs (and likely the scopas), both being conspecifics. Powder Blues are very aggressive and will wreak havoc in a tank that small. IMO.

ok now to open a can of worms
went to the local petco
they had a huge yellow and purple tang and a smaller yellow in a 100 gallon bowfort:angel:
tang police we need your help...

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is the last place I would look for examples of good fish husbandry. :)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a gallon limit is the answer. Because I wouldn't put a Tang in anything less than a 5' tank, depending on the species, then the length goes up form there. Its not so much how much water they have, but how much swim room, back and forth, they have.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok now to open a can of worms
went to the local petco
they had a huge yellow and purple tang and a smaller yellow in a 100 gallon bowfort:angel:
tang police we need your help...
But normally those fish are only there a short time, they are for sale and not meant to be kept in there any long periods of time.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say size of fish not just tang is a big factor... for example a dime size hippo tang would be perfectly fine in a small tank (55g) but I think almost any fish over 4" should be in a 6' tank.

I dont go by gallons anymore I go by 1" of fish for every 1' length of tank

leemajors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a gallon limit is the answer. Because I wouldn't put a Tang in anything less than a 5' tank, depending on the species, then the length goes up form there. Its not so much how much water they have, but how much swim room, back and forth, they have.

hahaha

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang20police20copy_zps838fb056.jpg

image via ultimatereef.net member inselaffe

I love the graphic!

Depends on the species, and the tank dimensions. Tangs swim constantly in the wild, so tank length is more important than volume (within reason). Smaller tangs like Ctenochaetus spp. are OK with 75 gal or larger (4' length). Smaller Zebrasoma spp. (Yellow, Purple) are OK with 125 gal (5' length), while larger Naso spp. need a very long tank - 8' minimum IMO.

+1 Excellent points.

I would say size of fish not just tang is a big factor... for example a dime size hippo tang would be perfectly fine in a small tank (55g) but I think almost any fish over 4" should be in a 6' tank.

I dont go by gallons anymore I go by 1" of fish for every 1' length of tank

What happens when the fish outgrows a small tank? I guess it could be traded in at the LFS or sold, but the repeated stress of moving from tank to tank has to be hard on the fish.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on your responses, it is "OK" to put a tang in a custom shallow 5' long tank which approximates 55g. TBH if you are not sporting anything over a 125g you shouldn't be keeping a tang. But, everyone will find ways to bend the rules or create some for their own. We can't control people tanks and they will do what they want regardless because they want that fish. Most hobbyist buy the fish small and sell them once they get bigger which I frankly do not see a problem with. The fish grows up accustomed to a tank then someone with a larger tank, whom wants a larger tang without paying an arm and leg, buys the fish giving it a new environment. Isn't that pretty much what LFS do, keep tangs in small enclosure until someone comes to buy it. Just my two cents.

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is the last place I would look for examples of good fish husbandry. :)

Preach. I don't even like buying supplies there because it helps the department stay open. I remember seeing aptasia on a piece of live rock and the kid was trying to tell the customer that they'd be getting a free anemone. Good lord.

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on your responses, it is "OK" to put a tang in a custom shallow 5' long tank which approximates 55g. TBH if you are not sporting anything over a 125g you shouldn't be keeping a tang. But, everyone will find ways to bend the rules or create some for their own. We can't control people tanks and they will do what they want regardless because they want that fish. Most hobbyist buy the fish small and sell them once they get bigger which I frankly do not see a problem with. The fish grows up accustomed to a tank then someone with a larger tank, whom wants a larger tang without paying an arm and leg, buys the fish giving it a new environment. Isn't that pretty much what LFS do, keep tangs in small enclosure until someone comes to buy it. Just my two cents.

It's my opinion that Deinonych's comment, and the point in which I am in agreement, spoke to the fact that one should not lump all species of tangs together, in regards to proper tank size.

I guess there may be more stressful events in a fish's life than being transferred from the ocean to a shipping container, to a LFS tank, to a hobbyist's quarantine tank, to a display tank, then later to another quarantine tank, and finally to yet another display tank, but I can't think of anything at the moment. I guess my point is less environmental changes equals less stress. Less stress equates to a lower possibility for disease and hopefully a longer, healthier life.

I don't want to control what people put in their tanks, but irresponsible husbandry practices are irresponsible husbandry practices, no matter how the story is spun.
tang02_zps50644a1a.jpg

Last edited:

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Scopas in a 4 foot tank, and it's doing quite well, I really think sometimes it also comes down to the individual fish for if you can bend the rules. Now of course there are hard rules in place such as no tangs in a 10 gallon duh, but as long as there is swimming room, and no one is bothering it, a tang should do fine in such conditions.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back