Pairing Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse?

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I picked up a Male Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse from my LFS a few weeks ago and I saw that Live Aquaria has a Female/Subadult available.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

My questions are:

1) Should I worry about aggression between my current male and the Female/Subadult?
2) What are the chances of the "subadult" becoming a male?
3) I also have a Large Melanurus wrasse and an Orchid Dottyback in my tank that shows some aggression to the Red head wrasse but nothing serious. Would 3 wrasses in my 90 make things worse or better aggression wise?
4) Is pairing wrasses common/worth it?

Tank Inhabitants:
-Blue Jaw Trigger
-Yellow Tang
-Bicolor Blenny
-2 True Perc clowns
-Melanurus wrasse
-Orchid Dottyback
-Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Photos: (because everyone love's photos.)

DSC08344_zpsdd9a55b3.jpg

DSC08347_zpsd8cdca83.jpg

DSC08350_zpsbce48ad0.jpg

OP
OP
JMSKI333

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last bump for the Sunday night crew. I think I might just take a chance and report back here with my findings.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Should I worry about aggression between my current male and the Female/Subadult? There will likely be some initially; an acclimation box would be a must.
2) What are the chances of the "subadult" becoming a male? Very good. Especially if it is a transitioning male. In which case, I would pass personally.
3) I also have a Large Melanurus wrasse and an Orchid Dottyback in my tank that shows some aggression to the Red head wrasse but nothing serious. Would 3 wrasses in my 90 make things worse or better aggression wise? No way to be sure. If it is not serious now, I would not worry about it.
4) Is pairing wrasses common/worth it? Not with almost all Fairy or Flasher Wrasses IMO. Very few stay "paired". And then when you have two males on your hand, now you may need to remove one before one or the other is killed.

Hope that helps! Here is a good thread with more info on wrasses:
All About Reef Safe Wrasses - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum

DallasNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Ive been thinking of doing the same.
What did you end up doing?
If you got a female, how is it working out?

Thanks
D

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, and this is just me thinking out loud, if you get them to the point that one will stay as a female, most fish at some point will start to breed, now, as far as what the requirements would be to make that become a reality, your guess is as good as mine.

DallasNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of pairing up fish and I like that the female seems to look quite different than the male. Ive not seen pairing of wrasses done, and that may be for the reasons others stated above.
I also like the idea of a pretty peaceful tank which a red head is great for, but maybe not for two if the female turned...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses dont actually "pair" like some other fish do. Rather male/female roles are based off of dominance/submission. The male behaves aggressively toward the female by flashing and chasing. In turn if the female does not receive enough aggression she may begin to transition into a male.

Another complication regarding pairing C. solorensis is that many of the individuals sold as female solorensis are actually a male of an as of yet undescribed species.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back