Pairing up Falco Hawkfish

dvskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. My Falco Hawkfish finally came into the lfs. He got what was called a pair in, how can you tell if it is truly a pair? I was under the impression that they live in groups, similar to Chloe fish, and were able to change their sex as well. I have done a Google, and didn't find much info on housing more thank one. Does anyone have any info on the subject. I plan on picking 1 if not both tmrw.

OP
OP
D

dvskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just gonna shine some light on this. They live in harems with one male and up to 6 females. The males are the bigger of the 2.

I did end up picking both these fish up, as there is a big size difference. Hoping they play well together. They are the first fish in the tank, and I'm toying with the idea of having a tank dedicated to a harem of them. Maybe one more female.

OP
OP
D

dvskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0207_zpsks4gi62j.jpg

The only issue I have ran into is the aggressiveness.. I made the mistake of putting them in first, now they own the tank. They team up n kill any other fish I introduce. So far the list is, a maroon clown, eblii angel, and foxface. Not to mention the countless hermits n snails they have eaten.

Premmas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, they try to kill almost anything new i put in the tank. My list: flasher wrasse, apogon leptacanthus, 2 yellow striped cardinal and 1 ocellares. Also they eat every shrimp i put in tank.
falco.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back