My hooded fairy wrasse is sick

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what's wrong with him? I only have 2 other fish, a leopard wrasse and a purple fire fish. Both are healthy and happy. Any ideas what's wrong and what to do. I've had him for 4 months or so.

uploadfromtaptalk1397712037895.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397712037895.jpg

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without more info it would just be wild speculation. He is definitely showing stress coloring. Have you had any temp swings? Has he been scrathing or showing any other signs of disease or parasites? What are the water parameters? How often do you feed? Have you changed what you feed recently? The answers to these and probably other questions can help narrow it down.

Do you have glass tops? He may have jumped into that with hard force., but again just a guess without more info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without more info it would just be wild speculation. He is definitely showing stress coloring. Have you had any temp swings? Has he been scrathing or showing any other signs of disease or parasites? What are the water parameters? How often do you feed? Have you changed what you feed recently? The answers to these and probably other questions can help narrow it down.

Do you have glass tops? He may have jumped into that with hard force., but again just a guess without more info.

No temp swings. No signs of parasites on him or other fish. I thought the discoloration was the problem. I feed LRS reef frenzy 2 times per day. Been using LRS for months. Parameters are normal reef pararmeters and are pretty stable. No glass top. I have a canopy with a T5 fixture at the top, it's possible he could have hit it. It's about 9 inches above the water

Last edited:

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed that in your first post. Is it swimming at all, or just lying on the bottom? When did you first notice something was off?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you obtain him from? and how long have you had him? was he a new addition? and u don't have a cover for your tank?

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed that in your first post. Is it swimming at all, or just lying on the bottom? When did you first notice something was off?

He's mostly laying. But will swim to a new spot and lay down again. I haven't seen him in about 2-3 days he's been hiding in the rocks. This is the first he's been out since.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the discoloration was the problem.
It's only their stressed coloration. There's nothing visually wrong with him, besides being severely stressed. That's not to say he doesn't have an internal issue, however.

He's mostly laying. But will swim to a new spot and lay down again. I haven't seen him in about 2-3 days he's been hiding in the rocks. This is the first he's been out since.
That could be indicative of a bully, or just not feeling well.
If no one is picking on him while he's out and exposed like this, it's likely the latter.
But as to what the "issue" might be, it would be anyone's guess at best. You could pull him and blindly treat with the some various meds, but this might also just stress him over the brink.

Sorry; these situations are never fun. :(

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only their stressed coloration. There's nothing visually wrong with him, besides being severely stressed. That's not to say he doesn't have an internal issue, however.

That could be indicative of a bully, or just not feeling well.
If no one is picking on him while he's out and exposed like this, it's likely the latter.
But as to what the "issue" might be, it would be anyone's guess at best. You could pull him and blindly treat with the some various meds, but this might also just stress him over the brink.

Sorry; these situations are never fun. :(

Just the guy I was hoping to hear from. Thanks for the info. The other fish haven't gone near him at all that I have seen. He was acting strange before he went into hiding, and by strange I mean he barely ate that day which he's usually a voracious eater. Should I be happy he's come put of hiding? Naturally I would think that's a good sign but I don't know.

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you obtain him from? and how long have you had him? was he a new addition? and u don't have a cover for your tank?

I've had him about 4-5 months. Bought from a local fish store. They buy from quality marine. My tank is fully enclosed with a cover over my over flow so no fish can get in.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the dreaded wrasse "sickness" i bet. One hour they are fine, the next thats it for typically no visible reason.

I have heard of old Wrasses passing from old age, but never a healthy one just up and dying. Care to give any more details on what you are referring to?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses have a tendency to be fine one hour and swimming, eating, etc and then disappear for days only to turn up half dead. It's happen to me many times.

wrasseluver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my splendid wrasse after a few weeks of him swimming and eating just fine. Then he just stopped and started to hide. I took him out put him in qt for 2 week and medicated the tank. I used melafix with the recommend dose and it's now six month and he's doing great.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses have a tendency to be fine one hour and swimming, eating, etc and then disappear for days only to turn up half dead. It's happen to me many times.

I guess I am lucky then. Have not had this experience with any of my Wrasses.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%

Back