29g Stocking Options?

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 for sure fish picked out for my 29 gallon tank. I want to keep a pair of clowns and a royal gramma basslet. I'd like to add up to 2 more fish, just not sure which are compatible with the aforementioned 3. I also plan on keeping a clam well into the distant future. So no clam pickers. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also plan on keeping zoas, soft, lps coral. So no coral pickers.

Last edited:

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 is probably the max I would recommend for a tank of that size. a fire fish or bangai cardinal would work nicely. as long as the top is covered.

brendan12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns a Cherub Angelfish bicolor blenny a yellow coris wrasse a xmas wrasse and a cleaner shrimp in my 30gallon reef with no skimmer

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the midas might be a little too big for that tank. It gets to 6 inches

I agree. A 3' wide tank is ideal for them IMO. Mine in my 125 easily uses 3' of the tank all day long.

I've had mine for quite some time and it has grown very little if any.

You have a 3' tank anyways, so you are all set ;) My Midas Blenny is about 4". I have seen them at least 5". How big is yours?

OP
OP
SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green clown goby looks cool. I'd love an dwarf angel, but dont think they're reef safe, or at least it's 50/50 on them.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green clown goby looks cool. I'd love an dwarf angel, but dont think they're reef safe, or at least it's 50/50 on them.
Pygmy Angel/Cherub Angel. Probably the safest bet when it comes to corals. They have the best track record. I have a clam, LPS, and zoas and the little guy doesn't come near them. It helps to get angels as small as you possibly can.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our 29 We have 2 Clowns a Royal Gamma a Dotted Mandarin and a Wrasse. The Royal picked on the Clowns for a day or so just to show the Clowns he was the King of the tank..

OP
OP
SmoothSmoke

SmoothSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so can this lineup possibly work?

2 clowns (black/white & snowflake or picasso)
1 royal gramma
1 green clown goby
1 pygmy angel or flame angel

Tank is 29g/15g sump. If any of the angels wont work. Can you recommend some colorful red colored species fish? As well as blue. Thanks

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so can this lineup possibly work?

2 clowns (black/white & snowflake or picasso)
1 royal gramma
1 green clown goby
1 pygmy angel or flame angel

Tank is 29g/15g sump. If any of the angels wont work. Can you recommend some colorful red colored species fish? As well as blue. Thanks

The gramma will be a tiny bit territorial. So I would leave him out. If it were a bigger tank, I'd say go for it. The pygmy will be great. The others are good as well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pygmy angel has a reputation for being more aggressive than some of the other Centropyge angels, and is definitely more aggressive than a Royal Gramma. And while there are many reports of them being reefsafe, every single one of the pygmy angels I have dealt with picked at corals.

As far as a red fish that is reefsafe, I strongly recommend a flame hawkfish or a rubripinnis fairy wrasse, both are peaceful and stay relatively small.

Blue fish for that size tank would be a blue gudgeon goby or springeri damsel, perhaps the most peaceful damsel.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back