Flasher wrasse in QT, HELP!!!

Reef Dog 29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a carpenter flasher wrasse in at since Friday, its been hiding since then too. This morning it was still hiding and it is laying against a rock and breathing rapidly, all my parameters are fine PH 8.0,Ammonia .25, nitrite 0 , nitrate 10 , salinity 1.018. Any way to help this fish or just reason's of why this is happening will be greatly appreciated.

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is to high you don't want any at all. Other than that you're salinity looks really low shoot for 1.024-1.025 how is the oxygen like in your tank ? Do you have a skimmer on your tank ?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on ammonia being to high, a water change and replace carbon if used. Obviously not using NSW as your S.G. is much lower. What is in your QT as far as mechanical and biological filtration goes ???

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Reef Dog 29

Reef Dog 29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ammonias a little high and its not ideal but its fine for now , and for mechanical I've got filter floss, and biological I've got bio balls in a hob filter

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio balls eh, I would. Suggest that you do not use them. I used to have them in my old biocube and they were amazing for collecting all the fish gunk between the bristles and letting it decay and rot causing problems with ammonia/nitrate. Personally on my tank I use a filter sock and a skimmer for filtration with live rock in the sump for extra biological filtration and reactors on standby. The bio balls are likely The reason your ammonia is high if you get it back down to 0 your flasher should be fine, keeps the airstone in the tank and do a water change like stated above and your little flasher should be fine

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back