Brown circle / spot on my foxface - what is it?

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a perfect circle, almost like a stamp. He had it in a different area and it went away and now he's got it again here. This is the only spot, it's not on the other side of him either.

It's hard to snap a photo of him because he moves away from the glass when I go near it so this was the best I could do.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Water params are as follows:
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.025
Phosphates 0.02

He's in a 90g with a a 30g sump
Starry blenny, allardi clown, lemon chromis, some corals.
No anemones. No shrimp.
He isn't rubbing on any rockwork and doesn't seem irritated at all. He eats normally, nori every day and a mix of spirulina, brine, krill, mysis (different every day for variety).

If you need any more info just ask. I've google and looked I cannot find anything similar. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1401966993129.jpg
    1401966993129.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 277
  • 1401967006103.jpg
    1401967006103.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 1401967022282.jpg
    1401967022282.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 283

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish looks healthy.looks like it got a hickey from a siphoning tube.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird!! that it moved from one location on the fish to a new spot. The only thing I seen that looks like that, is here in Lake Erie. A sea lamprey, that attaches to a fish and sucks the fluid out of them. It,s one of those invasive species.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird!! that it moved from one location on the fish to a new spot. The only thing I seen that looks like that, is here in Lake Erie. A sea lamprey, that attaches to a fish and sucks the fluid out of them. It,s one of those invasive species.

I just googled that.. that's got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I don't think it's that though because there aren't any wounds/holes etc where the Lamprey would have attached. It's almost like it's an internal thing, under the first layer of skin.
Hopefully I don't have and will never have a Lamprey in my tank though !

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know, they are ugly. Their sucker mark is around an inch or so. Sorry I can't help, never saw that before. Almost like a fungus like ringworm or somthing.

xcorallusx

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a bite mark from your clown, I had a large clarki that was very aggressive and would leave these bite marks on my tangs

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a bite mark from your clown, I had a large clarki that was very aggressive and would leave these bite marks on my tangs

Would that leave as big of an area as this? My clowns not very big - so if he bit the foxface would the little bite leave this large of a ring?

Also when your clarkii bit the tangs would you see flesh wounds or just markings like this underlying the layer of flesh?

My clown keeps his distance for the most part. My blenny, I wouldn't be surprised, he's the reason I don't have any shrimps or crabs. They all became dinner for him. He's feisty.

Thanks!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is most likely a bite from the blenny. They have rasping teeth so only leave scrapes that heal quick but they also create suction when they bite which leaves a bruised area.

anneross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I found this thread because my fox face has exactly the same marks they also go away and another apears a few weeks later , my clown had one aswell, I guess I'm gona blame my lawn mower bleny who I was a little suspicious of when I couldn't find any diseases that looked like the marks, relived it's not a disease

Back