Box fish/ Cow fish

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I just wanted to start a thread for anyone who has owned a boxfish also known as a cow fish.

I just yesterday picked up one when I went to the LFS for food only. I know I'm not the only one who's done that. and of course after I got home I did some research.

What scares me is the info I found on how these fish release a toxin that will kill all your fish when very upset or dies.

If anyone has had experience with a box fish or has any helpful tips or info I would appreciate it. Because I'm on the fence with bringing it back to the store today.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
have had sharpnosed puffers In my tank before never had any Issues . not a fish I would put In a reef tank .

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had longhorn cowfish on a few occasions. I have never had an issue with the release of the toxin. Most of the accounts I am aware of are cases with extreme aggression or the boxfish getting stuck on the overflow or on a powerhead.

The bigger issues I have seen is it is difficult to tell if they are not getting enough to eat as they have a rigid body. So I wouldnt keep them with fish that will outcompete them for food. They are also prone to ich.

OP
OP
dereks16

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think on it. The more I feel it should go back. As cool as I think the fish is. My other two options seem better. A saddled puffer or a copper band butterfly fish. One of my favorites. May be taking the trip this afternoon. Any tips on getting it out. Will me netting it cause it to release toxin?

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where smart phones come in really handy. We have all been tempted to purchase a fish on a whim. At least with a phone you can do a
quick check and see what your getting yourself into.

OP
OP
dereks16

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I've done that before. But store has horrible signal. And my wife and daughter both tag teamed me into this over the saddled puffer. So I just went with it. Decisions.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tripled teamed by my three boys when they saw 2 fire fish last time I went to LFS. Luckily they have been stayed a pair and have been a good addition to the tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been doing doing some research on these myself lately. It seems that it's rare for the toxin to be an issue. In fact, I couldn't find a single first-hand account. I've been thinking about getting one myself. I didn't know they were ich prone.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We kept a Longhorn Cowfish for 3 years (sadly, we lost him with the move to our current house and tank upgrade). They are highly personable fish (puppies of the tank) and can be GREAT in the right environment. They grow quite large (over a foot and a half) in length. They are best housed with peaceful tank mates, lower flow (especially when small) and will do better in a tank with lots of pods and tiny crustaceans. They will go after feather dusters and small snails as well. They are omnivores and should be offered algae on a regular basis.

They can be quickly out-competed for food. Cowfish/boxfish should not have concave sides which indicates starvation.

hth

Last edited:
OP
OP
dereks16

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up bringing it back and got a saddle puffer. Didn't want to chance it. Anyone know if we can feed it cod fish? Was gonna get Larry's reef food but it was 25 bucks for a sheet.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a Longhorn Cowfish myself, loved that fishy!! Very cool dude, personality, and my kid thought it was a hovering UFO in my tank. Never had an issue when I kept one. Thats also when I ran carbon as well.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a longhorn cowfish for my 120 eventually. Awesome fish!
Also the valentini puffer won't disappoint lol. Best fish I've ever owned! They, like the cowfish as it was mentioned above, become like puppies in the tank. Mine begs for food, spits water at me, blows bubbles and always get in the way of the camera. A very curious fish!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up bringing it back and got a saddle puffer. Didn't want to chance it. Anyone know if we can feed it cod fish? Was gonna get Larry's reef food but it was 25 bucks for a sheet.

Is it the white cod meat? Or that orangey red one? If it's white I'd say go ahead. I wouldn't feed the orange meat though. Mine loves squid and shrimp.
I can't remember where, but I read coloured meats aren't good for liver function in fish. I don't remember any solid facts proving this, but I have no reason to risk it when the white stuff is just as good!

reif119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the white cod meat? Or that orangey red one? If it's white I'd say go ahead. I wouldn't feed the orange meat though. Mine loves squid and shrimp.
I can't remember where, but I read coloured meats aren't good for liver function in fish. I don't remember any solid facts proving this, but I have no reason to risk it when the white stuff is just as good!

Prawn for the win!

OP
OP
dereks16

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the white Atlantic cod. I was about to and didn't because I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirmation.

Back