Upgrading to a 75 Gal Reef, need livestock suggestions

Good_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

New R2R poster here, but iIve been in the saltwater game for a little over 2 years. I currently have a 38 gal setup, stocked with a load of corals and inverts that currently is home to 4 fish as well. (Damsel, Potter's Angelfish, Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, and a Fairy Wrasse). My tank has been healthy and thriving, yet has rapidly begun to get cramped as my coral propagates. In the fall I am planning on upgrading to a 75 gal setup, and am determined to put in a Golden Dwarf Moray. All the fish I currently have will be way to big to get caught by the eel, but I was hoping you could give me some unique and interesting tank mates to add as well. What do you think will work best with my current live stock, and how can I utilize the new space in the larger tank?

Thanks,
Good_Reefer

jaesong

Gentlemen Wanderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of inverts do you have? Golden Dwarf Morays will eat your inverts.

OP
OP
G

Good_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm bracing for that. I have a reef lobster who has been a real great citizen who I keep well fed. I think he may be too big for the moray but correct me if I am wrong. Besides regular CuC members (hermits, snails, a couple of emerald crabs) I also have a red fire shrimp and skunk cleaner, both of who are pretty large and have gone through a ton of molts. So I'm hoping that (at least for the first 6 months as the eel grows...i plan on getting a juvenile) they should be ok. Again, I could be wrong

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a golden moray in a mixed reff with blood and skunk cleaner shrimp and he doesnt bother them at all, although he may one day change his mind, but 2 months in , so far so good.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking you could look at adding some additional wrasses (they are so colorful and active) - although you obviously have some nice ones - I always recommend flamehawk because they are such cool fish. What about clowns? Even after all these years of fishkeeping, still one of my favorite fish. There are some completely awesome designer clowns out there and prices seem to have come down a bit. I'm afraid to recommend any bottom dwellers because I'm not sure if and how an eel establishes territory.

OP
OP
G

Good_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I really love the wrasses and am drawn to perhaps more leopards. Clowns are a possibility for sure, but I was thinking about some species that are more unique or bold in appearance

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back