Filling a large tank with mini fish...

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 190g display- 60"x 30"x 24"

I want to do something different with a large tank. Current stock is a Golden Dwarf Moray, six line wrasse , a melanarus wrasse and a b/w clown. Instead of going large fish, was thinking of tons of small fish. What would you do in this case?
No tangs, no larger wrasses, angels or triggers. Though the tank is on the bigger side, I feel like I'm squishing fish that would be prolific swimmers into a tiny display. Just my personal feeling.. Also I think it would look very cool to have tons of tiny fish shoaling around coral colonies and rock islands. Trying to do something a little different..
I'm getting inspiration from freshwater Japanese style tanks, 100's of tetra like fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown tank is cool, but again, smaller fish. I like red dot cardinals, but the mortality rate is huge and they are hard to find. Maybe mini dart fish?

Last edited:

J77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's an awsome idea how bout like 50 or 60 trimma gobies and a hole bunch of yasha gobies cause they like to swim in water colume.or just tons of diffrent gobies.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this idea is awesome. I have a 135 display fuge that I just plumbed to my main DT, and I was trying to figure out a direction to go with it. I think this may be it!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the basslets idea! I really don't think you'll have trouble in the larger tank with aggression from chromis - I'm sure you could always get a rogue or two but I think with lots of swimming room and hiding spots, there should be minimal aggression. I think the blue reef chromis are more expensive but may be a little cooler look than your basic blue/green chromis. Hope that makes sense.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find the survival rate of mini dartfish to be on par with the parvulus cardinals. What I have found to help be successful with both of these fish is to hatch baby brine and feed minimum of 3x's, but preferably 5x's a day.

Other cool small fish ideas are: a colony of barnacle blennies, the trimma gobies are cool, and if you are doing small fish you could do garden eels.

J77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I didn't even think about garden eels there an awsome reef store in Greenwich connneticut that had like 20 of them in a 500g it was one of the most awsome sights ever,u would def need deep sand bed though but they are freakin awsome.

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 190g display- 60"x 30"x 24"

I want to do something different with a large tank. Current stock is a Golden Dwarf Moray, six line wrasse , a melanarus wrasse and a b/w clown. Instead of going large fish, was thinking of tons of small fish. What would you do in this case?
No tangs, no larger wrasses, angels or triggers. Though the tank is on the bigger side, I feel like I'm squishing fish that would be prolific swimmers into a tiny display. Just my personal feeling.. Also I think it would look very cool to have tons of tiny fish shoaling around coral colonies and rock islands. Trying to do something a little different..
I'm getting inspiration from freshwater Japanese style tanks, 100's of tetra like fish.

If i had a tank that large. That would be exactly what i do with it.

Multiple species of Cardinals, basslets, and of course... Goby! xD

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses, anthias and a bunch of firefish. Sounds like my dream tank

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some great suggestions here. I'm liking the goby idea, but from my experience I've never had a goby that is willing to swim in the open water. They always seem to hang on the rocks.
Firefish are another great colorful idea, but I'm lead to believe that they should be kept in pairs or singularly. Or does the same thought as a clown harem apply, as in with so many there is a bit of confusion to eliminate aggression? In reality, I'm also thinking slightly smaller fish.

Back