Issue with Saltwater Ich

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks ago I went through the ordeal of removing three tangs and three clowns from Eve's reef.

This as a result of having added newly acquired corals without dipping.
About five days later I noticed my hippo scratching against the rocks and before a weeks time I lost my Lamark and my flame angels. The powder brown. purple and hippo though infected and covered with the characteristic dots were making regular stops by the cleaner shrimp but it was just too much for them to handle.

I ended up catching them and putting all in quarantine tank with cupramine and prazipro. All have recuperated and are still in isolation three weeks later.

My question is about a blue spotted goby which I failed to catch when I removed all the other fish. He seems totally immune to the outbreak and continues his life of sifting sand.
Should I be concerned and try and catch him prior to returning other fish to display tank? Will the disease still be present?
I've also noticed a drop in PH since I removed the fish. PH is hovering between 7.8 and 7.9. It was 8.1- 8.2 previously. The skimmer is out of wack also. It's either overflowing or not skimming. I could use some guidance

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a hard question to answer in terms of the goby. I would probably advise you to try and catch him so that there is no host for the ich available in the display tank. I'm cautious to assume that it is immune to hosting the disease, it just may have a hardier immune system but could possible still carry the disease. Most will tell you you will need to leave your tank fishless for 6-8 weeks to allow the ich to be erradicated. I'm so glad to hear that you were able to save your tangs.

I would not be concerned about the ph of your tank as long as other parameters are in line - salinity, nitrate, alk, and phosphate. I can't think of what might be causing your skimmer issues. I know mine usually needs to be tweaked to find the "right spot" where it makes foam but doesn't skim wet. Can you try adjusting it or you've probably already been there, done that.......bump for your skimmer question - what type do you have, that information may help others know what's going on.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If you are going to have tangs, you will have ich from time to time PERIOD. I do not care what any "pro" says on here, hippo's should just be renamed to Ich Fish.

Overall, if you want to go completely fish less for the duration of 2 months - yes get him out. Overall, Ich can and possibly will come back to your tank no matter how long you keep your fish in QT.

Read my experiences. Not saying I know EXACTLY and EVERYTHING but I do know the #1 thing to do is not to panic. We tend to make matters worse playing god.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-discussion/155605-so-my-hippo-has-ich-who-cares.html

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to ^^^. Once in awhile my tangs will show signs of ich, (usually when the temperature outside changes dramatically, cold to hot and humid) but as long as they are kept well fed, and there fat and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to ^^^. Once in awhile my tangs will show signs of ich, (usually when the temperature outside changes dramatically, cold to hot and humid) but as long as they are kept well fed, and there fat and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for reading my write up man :) You are correct, as long as they are fed, fat and healthy - they are good to go.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies.
Calcium 460
Alk 8.1
Magnesium 1300
Nitrate 0.2
Phosphate 0
PH 7.91
Salinity 1.025
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406148845.402357.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back