Advice on compatibility/over all community for my tank

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im rebuilding my tank from a mixed reef to mainly softies with a few lps.

I have a list in mind of what I would like to do. However i dont have much experience with a majority of these inhabitants.

1 Snowflake Eel (maybe zebra moray if i can find one)
1 Harlequin Tusk
1 Yellow Tang
2-3 Black and White Heniouchus Bannerfish
4 Chromis (maybe clowns instead but thats what im not sure on)

Tank size is 93 gal with 30 gal sump
Flow would be semi low (2 mp10s)

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chromis are pretty peaceful. Go to liveaquaria.com , they have a marine fish compatibility chart that I very useful.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the chromis would be peaceful - the yellow tang would be mostly peaceful although can be aggressive with its same species or same shaped species (ie. purple tang) - I've read this, not experienced it first hand. I've never kept a bannerfish but absolutely love those fish and I believe they are pretty peaceful although can be risky in a reef (one main reason I've never tried one). I'm not familiar with the tusk but I believe they grow pretty large. Clowns can always have potential for aggression - should probably go in toward the last fish added and some species are more aggressive than others (occellaris (sp) and skunk types less so than maroons, clarkii's, tomatoes). I've never kept an eel so hopefully others can chime in on that one.

The live aquaria recommendation is a great one as a resource. Also gives tank sizes. 4 chromis will dwindle down to 1 over time - don't know why but it is very common.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusks can get fairly large but... Im on the hunt right now for a 110 ish size tank, shallower the better. So in reality this tank is more for growing/temp purposes. Im in a house for a long time now so its not like I'm in a huge rush/have space issues when it comes to getting a new tank setup.

The only fish im dead set on are the Tusk, and the eel. Otherwise i dont mind. The bannerfish i know are tough and i reallllly want them but there are 2 different kinds. The polyp destroyers and then the peacefull ones. I have a hookup on facebook that may be able to find me the correct species.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, there are the two types of the banners - if you get the right ones, I think they are such a cool fish!

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a lot of big fish even for a 110. you will have to really keep an eye on your water.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those ish should all be fine, especially if you do get the larger tanks.

I would suggest adding the eel last as I had an eel that would chase any new fish added to the tank, regardless of whether they were too big to eat, but would calm down after a day or two.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting a tusk also but I've read the will destroy your inverts! It's what they do in nature. So yah kinda hard to keep in a reef. Idk

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting a tusk also but I've read the will destroy your inverts! It's what they do in nature. So yah kinda hard to keep in a reef. Idk

Motile inverts, they will leave corals alone, same story with the moray, but motile inverts arent necessary for a reef.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider looking for a 6 foot tank, at least, if you want to keep that stocklist.

Also, keep in mind that chromis have a nasty habit picking off each other until there is only one left.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like a good deal although it won't accomplish the bigger size discussed to keep the larger species fish you're wanting....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back