Showfish: what would you choose

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon that is pretty much stocked for fish but I am looking for one or two more "show fish" that will pop out. I have it stocked right now with a Maroon Clown, lemon peel angel, royal gramma, orange spotted goby, and 2 blue neon gobies. CUC: tuxedo urchin, cleaner shrimp, blue leg hermits, cerith snails, and a sea cucumber. There are two rock peers with a decent amount of open space for swimming. I have been thinking of banghai cardinals, an anthias, midas blenny or a leopard wrasse. But again, I'm looking for something to pop out that is not the generic standard salt aquarium fish like what I have so far. So I'm throwing out to you guys for some inspiration. Thanks!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my midas blenny! It's very active and always visible. You might check out other types of wrasses - I have a leopard but he's not always out and about - there are some beautiful varieties of wrasses. Anthias are pretty but they don't stand out imo - I think they do stand out in a tank when you have large enough tank to keep a few together but as singular fish.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Dwarf golden moray is nice and exotic for sure. Don't think they are ever available where I am though and not sure if my 60 is enough space for it, but it would look awesome for sure. Wrasses are interesting but seem generic to me for some reason. Most of them don't make me go whoa - what's that! Just my opinion though.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons get huge, just so you know that. You may not have room for another fish. I personally wouldn't put one in less than 90g. They can also get extremely mean, and usually do.
Even if you have room, I would NOT put an anthias or leopard wrasse with a maroon clown. They would almost certainly eventually be bullied or killed as the clown reaches maturity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Einna: Yup, agree with you, Maroon's are pretty mean buggers. Mine is 9 1/2yrs now and he has quite the self-entitlement attitude. He has bullied a few fish but overall he relaxes once the other fish know who is boss. When I got my Lemon Peel Angel, it was smaller than the clown and got bullied a bit. Now that the lemon peel is the same size they play around and keep each other in check and the clown's anger seems to be kept in check. As far as size goes, from my understanding the maroon's grow to the size of the aquarium and should have a minimum of 50 gallons. I had him when he was maybe 1/2" in size is now quite large, 5", but hasn't grown size wise in a couple of years, just a nice fat belly :). But adding new fish with him there always requires extra time from me and watchfulness for sure.

PherPhace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a pair of flasher wrasses for my 65.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/info/iddb/images/fish/wrasses/wrasse23.jpg

I want to put a tang in there but I hear there is some sort of police that will lock you up and release your fish in the ocean if your tank isn't at least 200gal
...There's also some pretty cool dwarf angels out there. I have a coral beauty that never bothers anything. Even leaves the feather dusters alone.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few colorful Reef safe fish to consider. Flame Hawkfish, Radiant Wrasse or Yellow Coris Wrasse and Fairy Wrasse such as Solar ( Cirrhilabrus solorensis) or Scott's (C. scottorum). All wood make great additions, though may need to be more cautious with the Fairy Wrasses because of the Maroon depending on its aggression level.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an offer to pick up today a china wrasse, which is pretty rare, as well as a ruby red dragonette. Both are eating and healthy. May pull the trigger and get these two. They're stunning.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wrasses would be cool but you absolutely need a cover or they will jump especially with those Maroons.
But I dont know if you actually have room... Those maroons get really big and require space especially once they mature and start laying eggs. They almost need to be counted as two fish each...

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I didn't suggest the hawkfish - I have a flamehawk and absolutely love it - tons of personality, very colorful and always active and visible. Actually, a camera hog lol

PherPhace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked up Scott's Fairy Wrasse. That thing is pretty sweet. The red dragonette is pretty hard to come by. I never see them in stores. SO MANY CHOICES! I'm in the same boat I have enough room for one show fish... or a mated pair.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Einna: Yup, agree with you, Maroon's are pretty mean buggers. Mine is 9 1/2yrs now and he has quite the self-entitlement attitude. He has bullied a few fish but overall he relaxes once the other fish know who is boss. When I got my Lemon Peel Angel, it was smaller than the clown and got bullied a bit. Now that the lemon peel is the same size they play around and keep each other in check and the clown's anger seems to be kept in check. As far as size goes, from my understanding the maroon's grow to the size of the aquarium and should have a minimum of 50 gallons. I had him when he was maybe 1/2" in size is now quite large, 5", but hasn't grown size wise in a couple of years, just a nice fat belly :). But adding new fish with him there always requires extra time from me and watchfulness for sure.

Very few fish will self-limit to aquarium size. In most cases, if they do, it's actually stunting which is an unhealthy condition and from my understanding usually occurs from water quality issues and stress more than tank size per se. I won't say that about every fish, as I do know one in particular (FW) that will stay small if the population density in the lake hits a certain point, rather than producing fewer eggs as is the trout norm.

It does appear that you have a relatively well-behaved tank boss. I would still caution against anything that "requires peaceful tankmates" as it may be unduly frightened by the clown's attitude and either die from stress or jump out. The tougher Fairy wrasses, such as the Scott's, could be a good choice. The dragonet may not be bothered by the clown, as it is mostly benthic, but they require special care in the form of abundant live copepods. Don't know a thing about the China wrasse, unfortunately.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update - so I did end up getting the China wrasse and the ruby red dragonet. They are two weeks into their new home and are doing great! I managed to see the wrasse burrow into the sand a couple of times and it was quite the spectacle. The dragonet goes about its business without a care eating away. It loves to hang out by the torch coral under its swaying arms.
IMG_3424.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back