Reef safe butterfly growth size (henochious diphretes)

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in getting a trio of these, but my question that on LA they are listed that they grow to eight inches. Do they actually or is that including the banner they are eight inches long?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get that big....and usually pretty quickly. I really wanted them but decided it wasn't worth it even in a 6' tank.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, they really aren't reef-safe anyway. Even if they decide to ignore corals, they have quite the taste for inverts from what I hear.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do the Pyramid Butterfly... we have two in our tank and don't touch any of the corals..Zoo's ....

OP
OP
Reeferdude56

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Racin you are right I just really like the banner, but I don't have the time to try a moorish idol.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is such a shame that Butterflies are not reef-safe...they are such awesome looking fish

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pyramid, absolutely love it.....was very shy for the first week and only came out when it saw me approach the tank, but now it's one of my most active

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair from LA and they did great for 3-4 days and then they both started picking on my acans. Beautiful fish and I am very disappointed but these weren't reef safe. They are out of tank now :(

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They listed the heniochus as reef safe as well. I have had the pyramid butterfly and it was a good citizen

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid Butterflies are about the only truly reef safe butterfly. Mulleri butterflies are supposed to be reef safe as well.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never had a dark face. Stayed the tan color. Awesome fish. Perfect for a reef but love to pace. Mine paced my 180 more than my naso

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I gather, "reef safe" butterflies are like dwarf angels; they may pick at corals, or they may not.
Definitely like the look of pyramids. Don't really know about their care or habits, though.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

If it's big enough, consider a school of three or more Klein's butterflies. I love em! Strong schoolers, hardy, not picky eaters, good citizens, etc.

Butterflyfish is a big family, so there's bound to be a lot of variation, but my understanding is that a lot of these butterflys that come into the hobby are primarily worm feeders. They turn to coral nipping when their preferred food is unavailable/they are starving.

In my limited experience, Klein's never nip if fed. The only story I know of one "going off the ranch" was when an owner was out of town and their regular feedings were missed. They grazed zoas and yellow polyps while he was out.

That's one story out of LOTS of Klein's going into lots of reefs. :)

-Matt

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

If it's big enough, consider a school of three or more Klein's butterflies. I love em! Strong schoolers, hardy, not picky eaters, good citizens, etc.

Butterflyfish is a big family, so there's bound to be a lot of variation, but my understanding is that a lot of these butterflys that come into the hobby are primarily worm feeders. They turn to coral nipping when their preferred food is unavailable/they are starving.

In my limited experience, Klein's never nip if fed. The only story I know of one "going off the ranch" was when an owner was out of town and their regular feedings were missed. They grazed zoas and yellow polyps while he was out.

-Matt
interesting post. As it turns out, the heni's I just got rid of were nipping at the feeding tentacles of the acans. They ate everything I threw in the tank and they definitely didn't appear to be starving

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

-Matt

I added some Klein's butterflies to a 400g display full blown mixed reef and they were fine until the aiptasia supply went down. They decimated a dinner plate size fungia coral, two 7" blue maxima clams, candycane colony, five hammers, and a huge frogspawn. They also liked to pick on the SPS polyps so the SPS never opened up until in removed them. Took 8 hrs to breakdown the tank in order to catch the school of 5. The owners feed the tank a ton of food, literally go through 5 cases of spirulina brine, a xlg flat of pe Mysis, and 3-4 flats of rods food a month so they were certainly well fed. Another service tank it ate a show size light blue maxima, a couple frogspawns, and an anemone before I trapped the single one.

I do not recommend Klein's for any reef any longer due to these experiences even though they are excellent aiptasia control. Copperbands have replaced them in all these tanks and no problems anymore. (although the one in the 400g has decided to stop eating aiptasia because they feed so much LOL)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back