What fish can I keep in a nem only tank that can't be kept in a reef?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a bta reef that's just getting started. I'm planning to have high end nems (and of course clowns to go in them), but I don't plan to have any corals (at least none that I'd care if they got stung or eaten). What cool fish that wouldn't normally be "reef-safe" would be good to house in this tank?

cutterx23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add the nems first, I've got 4 angels, a burgess butterfly, morish idol, and more in my nem tank. But can't add any new nems or angels will pick at it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you add the nems first, I've got 4 angels, a burgess butterfly, morish idol, and more in my nem tank. But can't add any new nems or angels will pick at it.

Good info! Thanks! I'm especially interested in keeping angels and butterflies. I was thinking about a small puffer too.

cutterx23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you will want to feed the nem when you feed the fish, otherwise you run the risk of them going to take the food from the nem and damaging it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:bump:

alohadood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going with a sandy bed its time for some wrasses! Always amazing fish to keep. A dragon wrasse (rockmoving wrasse) would be high on my list, if the tank is large. And a puffer for sure!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 bubble tips in my tank. 1 is about 7-8" long and the other 2 are about 3-4 inches.
I have 2 adult angels, Majestic and Blue face
3 Tangs, Hippo, Purple and Powder blue
4 clowns
1 Blenny
1 Gobie
3 Cleaner Shrimp

The only thing that bothers the nem is the shrimp. My fish stay well fed and from what i can tell they stay away from the nems completely.
When my biggest nem is open, it completely blocks a large entrance into one of my caves where my Majestic and Purple sleep. They do not even try to pass through there when the nem is open. At night when its closed up the entrance is open and they are back and forth in and out.
My clowns do not try to host in any of them.
I keep my fish fed so i dont know if that has anything to do with it.
Again the only thing are my shrimp, the will try to rip out any food i spot feed them. At this point i try to feed the shrimp first to keep them busy.
Even when they do bother, they tend to know the big nem they cannot mess with. The tentacles are so long they fail every time. My 2 smaller nems they do steal the food if i dont feed them first.
I have had my speckled RBTA for a lil over a month, and my 2 rainbow Bubbles for at least 3 weeks. None have moved.

Last edited:
Back