No more Iching around!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it appears that Ich has been dormant or introduced on a frag in my 180 gallon system. I have been contemplating what exactly I am going to do for the past week or so seeing that for the most part it hasn't been bad. I am sick of it.

I will be moving over my livestock starting with the Achilles who has been infected the most with the parasite. This is what happens when you do not initially quarantine as my clowns, chromis and tomini that I have had for the past couple years were not QT'd to begin with. I believe the parasite has been present the entire time and it took a fish such as the Achilles to really let it fester.

The fish will go through a Hyposalinity treatment at 1.009 for 4 weeks and brought back up to appropriate salinity over 10-14 days. And monitored after that for a week. Than most moved into the frag tank for the remainder of the Fallow term.

Fortunately for me I only have 7 to QT and two decent sized tanks for QT. Even further in my favor I have a 60 gallon frag tank (48x24x12) that majority of the livestock can be moved to after they are finished with QT and waiting out the Fallow period (11 weeks in this case).

Wish me luck, let this be a lesson that QTing fish from the very beginning could be the most important procedure.

Do NOT turn this thread into a debate if whether or not the Ich parasite is always present or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_MG_8332.jpg
_MG_8334.jpg
_MG_8336.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_8334.jpg
    _MG_8334.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 351

jen2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Achilles had it when he first arrived, we were fortunate and QT'd him for several weeks first. Hasn't had it since in over 3 years (knock on wood). Good luck with your guy and keep us posted as to how he's doing.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Achilles had it when he first arrived, we were fortunate and QT'd him for several weeks first. Hasn't had it since in over 3 years (knock on wood). Good luck with your guy and keep us posted as to how he's doing.

Mine never had it during QT, only flukes which went away after prazipro treatment. Unfortunately I think it was in the display the whole time making QTing the achilles almost pointless in the long run. :frown: Fortunately he still has good color and eats well so hopefully he takes the move into QT without issue.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck...especially catching them!
I like that your going to do an 11week fallow to make sure :)
It's good to be as thorough as possible if your going to do it...
Also, I'm assuming your going to QT everyone else in the future...sounds like just the first guys you didn't QT? But you have since them..
So then my final question is will you set up a coral QT and do the same for all incoming frags and inverts just in case?

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck...especially catching them!
I like that your going to do an 11week fallow to make sure :)
It's good to be as thorough as possible if your going to do it...
Also, I'm assuming your going to QT everyone else in the future...sounds like just the first guys you didn't QT? But you have since them..
So then my final question is will you set up a coral QT and do the same for all incoming frags and inverts just in case?

Yeah, this just shows how important it is to QT from the beginning. Even though your fish may be fine for a while with the parasite present it will become an issue when you get a fish that is very prone to it. The clowns, chromis and other two tangs don't show too many signs of ich except for a increased respiration rate. Unfortunately after nearly a week and a half I can't leave the fish in there.

I actually am pretty much done adding corals.. and yes I have a stand alone frag tank system I can use in the future. I also am thinking a dip solution may assist in killing off ich before it enters the system but I have to research that.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini, Clowns and Yellow tang are out.

The Chromis and Achilles is proving themselves difficult to catch. The problem is the Achilles needs treatment ASAP and won't go into the trap. His body is completely covered with Ich, not sure how much longer he would be able to deal with it without being treated. Hopefully I can get him by the end of the day..

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini, Clowns and Yellow tang are out.

The Chromis and Achilles is proving themselves difficult to catch. The problem is the Achilles needs treatment ASAP and won't go into the trap. His body is completely covered with Ich, not sure how much longer he would be able to deal with it without being treated. Hopefully I can get him by the end of the day..

use a #24 fish hook w/ a tiny piece of shrimp. I caught my tang in 5 seconds.
He is now happily living in a friends tank.
tanago-hook-comparison-2.jpg

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1407869586.524401.jpg

Picked up a better trap, fish aren't as spooked by it. The chromis have been going in it but want to pull the Achilles first and he's still checking it out.

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have ich. I got all fish out except a goby. any tips?

Most important thing is patience. Which can be real tough given the circumstances.

You can give the water bottle trap a try. Cut top off water bottle and invert it into the body with food in it. Will work like a bait trap. I would say try making an egg crate trap like the first one I used but I am going to assume the goby will go through the holes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back