Sorry buddy, but you gotta go!

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got a nice birds nest frag with some red and purple monti's to put in my tank. What happens? My lemon peel angel goes bananas on the purple monti and the birds nest. 1/4 of the polyps are gone and the monti has a frowny face for sure too. So what do you do? I love the look of the lemon peel, had him for 2 years now. Beautiful colour and fat. But now he's messing with my corals as a turn my fowlr into a reef tank and he's bullying my china wrasse, not cool. So what do you do? Gt rid of him? What do you replace him with? share your thoughts and experiences. Txs!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you really want to keep corals, it sounds like the lemon peel is going to need to go :(

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issues with my lemon peel. I rehomed it.

raceandoval

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I love these forums, I was debating getting a lemon peel, but my priority is a Reef Tank. Patience and research definitely increases success in our goals.

SAWDUSTINTANK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to rehome a flame angel for the same reason. The corals were too important to me to let the get eaten by fish. It's a tough decision but it's one that needs to be made.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got lucky witha pygmy angel, i see him pick very rarely at coral, never see damage though. so he's a keeper for me but buying him was definitely a risk

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think one of the main reasons mine is ok is its a mature tank with lots of growth of something the angel likes, he picks onrocks 24/7 never stops, he's a little chubby actually. so i think that's part of the reason, my my angel prefers whats on the rocks more than the corals itself. i really have only seen him pick at my keyni tree, and a monti, but on the monti he always picks from the bottom thats just bone, i figure something is growing on it ?

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's definitely a risk with all types of angels. I had always wanted a lemon peel since I started my tank and finally got one two years ago. But that was when it was a fowlr tank. Now I really want to have a mixed reef. It's sad because he was good with my green monti and torch coral, never touched them. I figured it was ok and so got a few more frags but then he went all bonkers. He also has become a bit of a bully and constantly puffs out his chest, especially towards by china wrasse. It's such a hard decision but he has to go if I want to have corals. I'll have to find another alternative to replace the yellow that the lemon peel brought to the tank.
@Einna - excellent suggestions - they're both beautiful fish!
@Raceandoval - research is definitely a must if you are starting from scratch. Makes life much easier! Going from one type of tank to another requires a little trial and error unfortunately - you hope the fish are the "exception". Didn't pan out this way this time

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bellus angel never saw it pic at anything they are said to be reef safe. I got him from mr saltwater and he also never had any problems. Very well behaved and very active. Eats nori with the tang and foxface from the clip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bellus angel never saw it pic at anything they are said to be reef safe. I got him from mr saltwater and he also never had any problems. Very well behaved and very active. Eats nori with the tang and foxface from the clip.

I would love to have that Angel, but it would not be happy in my 60 gallon. Too bad, bc its beautiful.

TheReefMasta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty in my reef and they haven't touched a coral. I agree with you though, if they do then they will be finding a new home.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems happy In the 90 so far. What are the dimensions of the 60

It's 16" front back, 40" long, and 20" deep. There is a box filter in the back left corner that takes some space though and the front is hexagonal on the ends, so it losses some space that way too. I would love to find a way to say it would work, but there is not enough swimming space for the Bellus.
IMG_3513.jpg

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine Is a standard 90 which is 48" x 18" which is close. They recommend 125g for them but mine seems content and happy. Have saw no aggression so far. She is a swimmer but not like a tang. I love the female I have. She gets along well with the yellow and tomini well as far as I can tell. When I upgrade to a 6' or 7' I hope to add a male.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the with caution fish are always better to get from someone who's had them in a reef tank. Your LFS can try them with a few frags that aren't doing well or inverts. A fellow reefer can also tell you guys experience with the fish in the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back