Flame angelfish QUESTION

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally lost mine. I assume he died of old age. Some people complain about them but mine never bothered anything in my reef.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya thats what i hear, ppl say i would not risk it but then theres like x amount of ppl saying oh they are fine. I just think they are really cool looking.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my reek tank (mostly zoas, GSP, SP and a Duncan) and he nips at the rock constantly but leaves the corals alone. It's been great so far... crossing fingers because I love that fish.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont want to put alot of time/money into coral and a 40$ fish kill things. Bad thing is the flame and the copperband are the fish that got me into this hobby. lol sucks

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel and a copper band and no problem with either in a mixed reef tank. They never messed with anything or if they did it was not enough to hurt it. They were around all types of corals and were kept well fed though! Having said that it can go either way with either of those fish. :)

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had mine for about 4 years now (( it was part of a pair, but lost one when I moved )). Haven't had any issues with clams/anemones/SPS. Can't speak about fleshy LPS, all my other dwarfs destroy them.

Flame2.jpg

Flame1.jpg

65FTSside2.jpg

Back when I had the pair,

Flamepair7.jpg

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks that the two coolest fish like to kill coral, BTW those two flames look really good together. Once i start my 75g I'll probably get a copper band anyways just b/c i like em.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit of a hit and miss, but if you keep them well fed they're less likely to nip coral supposedly. Bump up the feedings and you should be good :)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The colours in this one are awesome. What lights are they if you don't mind me asking? It's good to see a tank that doesn't look like windex.
Sorry I won't take over the thread lol.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a Flame angel but i keep a majestic angel which is also a caution keeper in reefs. I had her and an Emperor angel in there and both of them never nipped at anything. I have clams, 3 Goniopora, 1 hammer, 1 frogspawn.
My Emperor died a while back.
My Majestic after having her for about a year, and after the emperor died, i caught her nip at one of my Goniopora about 2 different times.
I took that as a sign that she was looking for something different to eat or was needing more variety. I started feeding her some Nori strips as variety from the norm pellets and shrimp. I have not seen her nip again since then. Its been about 2 months with no nipping.
To be honest i couldnt really tell if she was actually biting flesh or skeleton. The base of the goni is exposed and when she did nip the Goni did not retract. She may have just been looking for some algae as she does nip at rocks.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colours in this one are awesome. What lights are they if you don't mind me asking? It's good to see a tank that doesn't look like windex.
Sorry I won't take over the thread lol.

Thanks.

Old school -- 2*250 Radiums + 96 watt PC actinic

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh another note to add....
My majestic seems to have her preference as the route she travels in the tank, back and forth. (6' long).
I never really see her directly in front of any of my LPS or Clams except that 1 goni she did pick it.
Maybe that could be another reason why she never picked at anything else, but still the goni she did pick it is still in her path and she hasn't picked at it again.

Vucious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also considering getting one, they are so nice. However, I have bought two corals from a guy who has to get rid of the corals because his flame angel was picking at it. The corals were brain and acan, both are meaty.

ETORRES477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 50/50 with the flames, depends on the individual personality of the flame you put in your tank. I have one in my 150 mixed reef, have a lot of LPS and some softies in there, the flame never touches them. However, I have a blueberry seafan and him and my purple tang nip at it constantly. These fish are well fed, they eat twice a day, One live worm feeding, and then one assorted frozen (Mysis, Brine, Cycopls, clam, squid etc...), and nori every other day.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any fish can turn... ive seen foxface devour an anemone.

that said, I have a large CBB who has not bothered any of my corals. SPS, LPS, fleshy LPS and zoas. Perfect model citizen. I also have a Potters now who has been goood so far but did pick one or twice at an acan when it was unhappy.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i will be the naysayer :) I wouldnt put one in a 40b reef... imo not enough room and it will just swim laps all day get bored and start picking...
just my experiance with this type of fish

ETORRES477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i will be the naysayer :) I wouldnt put one in a 40b reef... imo not enough room and it will just swim laps all day get bored and start picking...
just my experiance with this type of fish
+1 on this quote, besides even the picking factor I really don't think I would put this fish in anything less than a 75 gallon, even that's a bit restricted for it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back