Tankopolis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408512688.898227.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408512702.855660.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408512718.074888.jpg

New watchman. Fine the first day but on day 2 his lips got fat! Bacterial ? Or did he eat something he shouldn't have?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female clown with swollen lips for a week or so after she was playing in a Hammer coral and mouthing it. Is it possible it may have gone after food that was in a coral that possibly done it?

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fresh water fish along time ago fin and mouth rot were a common issue with fresh water species. How do the fins look? Are there any fish in the tank the goby may be fighting with? Any anemones or stinging corals in the tank?

OP
OP
Tankopolis

Tankopolis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish that it would fight with. Fins look good. No anemones. I do have plenty of corals not sure if any are of stinging variety.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408641904.514475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408641916.934529.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408641934.027280.jpg

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet he did stick his lips in a coral that didn't appreciate it. lol I bet he learned his lesson. Very nice tank btw..

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no! so sorry - he looked healthy in terms of color and such :( you do have several corals that have stinging capabilities

OP
OP
Tankopolis

Tankopolis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit of a noob. Only been doing this for a year and don't know all the exact characteristics of my coral. I don't think any of them are that toxic. But I'm not 100% sure of that.

OP
OP
Tankopolis

Tankopolis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for for my sun polyps I feed them about 4 times a week and try to do it as soon as my lights come on. They are now trained to open up as soon as the lights come on. It took me a while to get them to open but now they do daily. I really load the food into them on feeding days. I never feed my fish as they get enough of the left overs and my tank chemistry stays perfect in spite of feeding the dendros and sun corals so much.

OP
OP
Tankopolis

Tankopolis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about it before but for months they were very sporadic so I decided to feed them at the same time on feeding days just as the lights came on. Now they open up as soon as the lights come on. Trained or normal behavior, I'm not sure but whatever it is they sure seem healthy and have great appetites.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks to lose a fish. I love my watchman and pistol shrimp. I have had them for years.Your fish was a new addition? I dont have a quarantine tank but after your post I am considering setting one up. I try to buy my fish from someone that has been around awhile. The 2 LFS in my area that I buy fish from quarantine all new arrivals. I never buy fish that they got that day. I am curious to know what your goby had. It looked like Mouth and Fin Rot. I did not think that was a problem in saltwater tanks.

CWMorrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about it before but for months they were very sporadic so I decided to feed them at the same time on feeding days just as the lights came on. Now they open up as soon as the lights come on. Trained or normal behavior, I'm not sure but whatever it is they sure seem healthy and have great appetites.
That is very interesting. I feed phytofeast in the evening, with the aquarium lights still on.

OP
OP
Tankopolis

Tankopolis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby was purchased from the same place I buy all my fish from and have never had a loss before. Day one he was in great shape. Day 2 declined dramatically with those fat lips. Day 3 dead. His fins were fine though. I did find one similar post that said the fish had his lips damaged in a net and then a bacterial infection set in. I guess I will never know for sure.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for for my sun polyps I feed them about 4 times a week and try to do it as soon as my lights come on. They are now trained to open up as soon as the lights come on. It took me a while to get them to open but now they do daily. I really load the food into them on feeding days. I never feed my fish as they get enough of the left overs and my tank chemistry stays perfect in spite of feeding the dendros and sun corals so much.
Thanks for the feedback. I recently got some Sun polyps and have had limited success getting then to open/eat with the lights on. I'm only feeding twice a week. I'll try increasing my regimen a bit

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back