Mandarin success questions

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tanks do you guys have that have been able to keep these things happy for extended periods of time? I have a 65, that has a ridiculous amount of pods, and I don't really see any of the fish hunting them, I have a rock that is covered by pods all day, and the fish just act like it doesn't exist, so I was thinking about one of these, but I know they are usually pretty finicky eaters, and I do not wanna get one if it is going to starve.

So I wanted to know if I could grab one of these guys now, or if I should hold off until I do a bigger upgrade, the 65 will be up until May, and everything will be going into a 120 that will be up for 2-3 years until the move to Colorado, where the 120 will probably be setup for another year or so until we get a house, and do an upgrade to something along the lines of a 400 with a basement fish room. Any advice is always welcome.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g with sump.

Had two, one died due to my blue knuckle crab trying to eat it and messed him up pretty good. As for how to keep them alive, train them from eating live to frozen food. Its fairly easy.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you'd be fine to keep one. The biggest thing is that you need to have enough pods for them to eat, and it sounds like you definitely do.

TBAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in a 125 that I have had for just at a year and have had one in a 90 for a couple years, but I have not tried anything smaller. If you have pods for it to eat while you are training it to eat other things you should be golden.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get one imo.. But if start noticing that you havent seen any pods for a little bit buy a bottle of them :)

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in a 75G with a 20G sump. I am paranoid so I still purchase copepods to add from time to time. I've read about people having success with mandarins in nanos(like 29Gs) but I'be never seen it in person. I would think you'de be alright with one. GL

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seeded in upwards of 7 months. Watch your mandarins belly. Every tank is different. Have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump(1/3 refugium) and it seems to do great. I always travel for several days at a time do I will get these small algae and nutrient outbreaks which probably do help out the pods.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure that the tons of pods your seeing are Copepods and not Amphipods. Oh and check out any and all threads by Paul B. He knows Mandarins!!! Lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back