Going to start cycling my tank

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to cycle my tank even if I have live sand, live rocks and saltwater from my LFS? They already have the good bacteria in the sand, rocks, and water.. its a 29g biocube. Sorry im a newbie with saltwater tanks

Weird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always a good idea to cycle a new tank even if your rocks was cured. You'll learn in this hobby that nothing good happens fast. Just take your time and monitor everything.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I too will be starting a 29G Biocube (hopefully this weekend) and will be using live sand, real ocean water (Catalina), and cured live rock (from LFS) and was wondering if the cycle will be quicker.

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends how far this live rock has traveled. If it's within the same day and been underwater during transit I would say no cycle would even occur.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to cycle my tank even if I have live sand, live rocks and saltwater from my LFS? They already have the good bacteria in the sand, rocks, and water.. its a 29g biocube. Sorry im a newbie with saltwater tanks

Not to hijack your post but a question from one newbie to another: Do you plan on doing a water test before adding your saltwater? I know I should but it would require me to carry the tank outside to my deck to fill with tap water.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack your post but a question from one newbie to another: Do you plan on doing a water test before adding your saltwater? I know I should but it would require me to carry the tank outside to my deck to fill with tap water.
yoi need to invest in buckets

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, to check for leaks.

Yes, I will be removing the bioballs and replacing with foam filters, Seachem Matrix Bio, and Seachem Matrix Carbon.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and give those LR some good scrubbing using a brush. Good luck

OP
OP
P

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I should take out the bioballs I will be adding a protein skimmer chemi pure elite, and purigen to my filter. Took out my stock filter, and

OP
OP
P

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why scrub the live rocks? I guess I need to do alot more research than I thought lol

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock can carry with it many bad guys although live rock brings good it also in many cases brings with it extermination

Weird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to avoid scrubbing the rocks, I would just run the tank with socks or floss so it can catch any dead or loose debris.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't scrub the rocks unless they have a lot of algae on them....I would do a nice rinse in saltwater (shake it and swoosh it around and then in the tank)

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that I did not have any cycle that I could detect. I added rock straight from the LFS tanks to my own and Hawaiian Black sand. Tested all parameters for two weeks almost daily and Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate have stayed 0. At just over a week I added CUC and saw no change for a week. Then added 2 clowns and still no change.

I have been strict with water changes and testing. The only things that have fluctuated are the PH, Mg, KH, and Ca which is to be expected for such a young tank. The tank is going on 23 days and I am finally seeing a leveling out of sorts of the PH, Mg, KH, Ca, and PO4 (which I just started testing and still need to get lower).

had a short algae spike which has receded with help in combination of CUC and filter media.

I in no way think I'm good to go and fully expect to get hit with something but I am trying to stay ahead of the game with measurements and observation. Also good filtration, water movement, and feeding habits.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would still treat the tank as if it is cycling but your cycle should be extremely fast and you might not have one at all. But still give it a good week before you put any cuc in there and make sure your water checks out before you do put anything in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back