Breaking the myth about mixing different clowns

abeliski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to break the myth about mixing different clowns in the same tank. I have a 66 gallon tank that has been up for a year. I started my tank last July and decided to make it a predominantly clown and anemone tank.

I've always thought the Fire Clown fish are cute, so are the Pink skunks. I also like the variance in Ocellaris clowns, particularly the platinum/Picasso/snowflake.

After two months in when the tank became stable, I introduced a pair of Snowflake Ocellaris, Fire, Clarkii, and Skunk all at the same time. They were confused for about the first 8 hours. The next day I awoke to a peaceful tank where the all the clowns happily coexist. Off all of them, the Skunk and Fire are the two most dominant ones.

Despite having two large Riterri nems, the Skunks wouldn't let any other clowns but themselves occupy them, where the Fire clowns claimed all four rose bubble tips. Leaving the Clarkii and Snowflake clowns without nems to host in.

I did have one medium carpet at one point, which the Snowflake took to their liking, but the carpet hem was short-lived. So instead now, the Snowflakes host the electric starburst polyps, which started out merely 4"x3" but now spread all over the rock, and they occasionally hosting in the pulsating pink Xenia.

I have a small sebae anemone, which the Clarkii clowns remain uninterested but happy not having any to nem to host in, nor did they attempted to host my two large elegance corals.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 781

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but how long have you had them all together, and how large are the Skunk and the Fire Clown? Once they get a bunch bigger, then we will see whats up.

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome to hear and I'm glad it worked for you but this is not a myth and 90% will not work, you just got lucky in part due to you adding them all together.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have frequently kept multiple prs of clowns in the same tank without issue, even after spawning activities began. The way you did it is the way to be successful.

brian0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 6 clowns in my 55g at one point. 2 true percs,2 snowflake and 2 oc. Last about 7 months now I'm down to 2. One snowflake became (and still is) very aggressive over my frog spawn and pretty much bullied the rest. Glad it's working for you didn't end well for mine.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of them spawning yet?

Some of the most aggressive fish I have ever kept was a spawning pair of pink skunks, they were fine for the first year or so, but when they started to spawn, all bets were off.

Because it has worked for you, doesn't mean the "myth" is busted. Over the last 20 years I have seen way more reports of it not working, versus it working.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly a myth buster. So you got a few baby clowns together for a few weeks. I think you are way ahead of yourself here.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When clowns become adults, things get ugly.

Best thing you can do if you plan to keep them all is get a large aquarium. Add a ton of host anemones and hope for the best.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of them spawning yet?

Some of the most aggressive fish I have ever kept was a spawning pair of pink skunks, they were fine for the first year or so, but when they started to spawn, all bets were off.

Because it has worked for you, doesn't mean the "myth" is busted. Over the last 20 years I have seen way more reports of it not working, versus it working.

Hey trex, how long did it take ur skunks to spawn? Where did they end up laying?

Can you give all the details?!?

I want my skunks to spawn. I just love skunk clowns?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love skunk clowns. ****

How do you edit a reply? I have yet to figure that out...

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey trex, how long did it take ur skunks to spawn? Where did they end up laying?

Can you give all the details?!?

I want my skunks to spawn. I just love skunk clowns?

Want to say that it took about a year, give or take. They laid on a rock next to their anemone (( for the pinks it was an S. haddoni )).
Sold them after they took out a Golden Dwarf angel to a local breeder (( Booyah )) about 4 years ago. Currently have a pair of orange skunks that have been spawning about about a year now (( had them for about 9 months before they started )), that lay on the side glass.
Don't do anything special, feed twice a day (( mix of 2 Rod's food, LifeLine's herbivore mix, pellets, and others )).

From before I sold them;

[video=youtube;O3E7J-3VcsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3E7J-3VcsU&list=UUYRzzmgl7cTBlCSei1ZApCw[/video]

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome!

Did the babies survive? How many??

Have had spawning clownfish at least 15 years now, never once tried to raise the fry. Not sure if I will ever try it, right now I am focusing on setting up a 210.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW
My buddy that lives just down the street with a 180 DT and a 125 sump (just nuts crazy!) has an adult clarki and two adult ocellaris clowns in his tank for years. I want to say he has one more variety in there, but I cannot remember right off.

They were all added at the same time. For a while there was only one BTA and the clarki took it over and the other clowns stayed away, this was when his DT was the 125. He got another BTA (in his 180) and his OCs got hosted really quick and everything is still peaceful in his tank.

Would this work in every situation, doubt it. However, I have to believe that each fish has their own personality to a point and some decide to get along with others and while it apears that the majority don't, but it's definitely possible. I do understand how much of a risk it is to mix, some have the sand to mix them and some heed the warning.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back