What is wrong with my Tamarin Wrasse? Can she be saved?

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blows, just got home from work and found her laying sideways on the sand and just breathing. What is going on and can I save her? :cry: I've only had her for 3 weeks. Ate mysis everyday.

I've attached a vid.[video=youtube_share;1YkUo61QDmI]http://youtu.be/1YkUo61QDmI[/video]

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised u had her that long they just don't live tried a xl female eat at the store but died few days later I'm up for a challenge when it comes to sensitive fish but the red tail tamrin just better left alone try a yellow tail just as pretty and can do well in captivity

OP
OP
V

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blows, I was getting attached as she was always coming to me expecting food. Always the first to rush to the food. Store said he's had a lot of clients buy these fish and they weren't difficult.

So no chance of turning around? Should I put her out of her misery?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point it doesnt look good. Dying after being in your tank for 3 weeks sounds a little like internal parasites, which limit how much nutrition she would get even though she is eating. Another factor could be on how big of a tank you have, how long it has been set up, and what other tankmates were in there. Anampses wrasses have a fast metabolic rate and need a frequent feedings and a lot of pods to supplement the feedings. A smaller tank, a newer tank, or tankmates that eat pods could just not have provided enough for her.

OP
OP
V

vanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She died a couple hours after the post.

I have a 5 year old 125g. I bought her to take care of my red flat worm problem but never see her going after it. Tank mates were 2 blue tangs, yellow tang, flame angel, 2 clowns, 2 blennies, yellow coris wrasse, and a diamond goby. Flame angel sometimes chased her but never more than a sec. I fed the tank 2-3 times a day.

Just bummed out. Probably was internal parasites.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been a parasite but this fish just won't tolerate being chased/ harassed

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is internal parasites. The aggression described isnt enough to cause issue. If it was being harassed too badly it would have buried itself and not come out or stayed cowered in a corner. Whereas internal parasites will weaken a fish to a state in the video above.

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one in my tank for 5 months now with no issues aside from my clowns chasing him. My LFS gets some nice livestock in, don't think it's anything particular about my tank. Another member on the local forum has had one the same length of time with no issues (from same lfs).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know brad syphus had them. My personal experiences with Anampses wrasses has been with caeruleopunctatus and meleagrides at this time. With the right tanks they do well, I will try and get pics this week. They have been in captivity for 6+ months. I havent had an opportunity to keep chrysocephalus yet.

Last edited:

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eat which one did u have I have a yellow tail over a yr now didn't eat mysis for 6 months then one day started out of no where it's one of my favorite fish really pretty!
I've tried 2 red tail one was eating in the store but just went belly up after a few days in the tank the other went into sand and I never saw it again

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eat which one did u have I have a yellow tail over a yr now didn't eat mysis for 6 months then one day started out of no where it's one of my favorite fish really pretty!
I've tried 2 red tail one was eating in the store but just went belly up after a few days in the tank the other went into sand and I never saw it again

I currently have 2 meleagrides, the yellowtail, in seprate tanks, they were quite small, but eating mysis a the store. The caeruleo*****tus is in a tank with one of the meleagrides, and was under 2" when acquired, but eating mysis as well.

Smaller specimens acclimate better than larger, but have much quicker metabolisms, so can quickly starve with competition for food rescources.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the ones that do well are quarantined with PraziPro upon purchase. That's just from what I've seen online, though.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would really love to hear from anyone keeping redtail tamrin
If it can be done I'd consider a trio of females and a pysc head male in my fuge I'm about to plumb in don't wanna lose them again though

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AugPic9_zps66304463.jpg

Not the best pic but he's on the left. As I said before, it's more about where the fish came from than the tank I think. My LFS had like 6 in when I bought mine, they were all schooling around together (owner said they were caught in Hawaii). He's eaten since day one anything I put in the tank. He is in a 210 gal tank with 3 other wrasses, 2 clowns, 4 tangs, 4 chromies, and 1 blenny. Clowns bug him likely from his red tail. Sorry everyone else is having such a hard time, they really are a cool looking fish!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AugPic9_zps66304463.jpg

Not the best pic but he's on the left. As I said before, it's more about where the fish came from than the tank I think. My LFS had like 6 in when I bought mine, they were all schooling around together (owner said they were caught in Hawaii). He's eaten since day one anything I put in the tank. He is in a 210 gal tank with 3 other wrasses, 2 clowns, 4 tangs, 4 chromies, and 1 blenny. Clowns bug him likely from his red tail. Sorry everyone else is having such a hard time, they really are a cool looking fish!
Can't see the pic :(

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back