Fish tongue parasite. How should I treat it?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has had this angel for about six years and I adopted it a year and a half ago. Its one of the bullies of the tank and is very active but seems to always be gasping for breath and has its lips extended. I'm pretty sure it has a tongue worm but cannot get a great picture of inside of its mouth. I'm wondering if I should leave the fish be, pull it from the tank and try to treat for the worm, or euthanize the fish.

Any suggestions?

Here is a pic from the web for reference.
download.jpg

And here is my fish. Notice in the last picture is appears to also have some gill plate erosion.
IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a worm I would try moving it over to a QT system and treating it with prazipro immediately.

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it has a mouth/tongue parasite? You mention it's a bully... many fish will fight mouth to mouth, so it could be damage from a battle. Is the fish still eating?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back