Wanting to add more to my 75g

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a few more fish to my 75g mixed reef. I was tossing around the idea of a kole tang or a tomini and also was thinking about a one spot foxface. Does anyone have any other ideas.

current stock:
2 occellaris clowns
1 firefish
1 green chromis- needs a new home
1 neon goby
1 6 line wrasse
1 3 spot goby
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" DSB also would a jawfish be possible or would It not work out with the DSB or have problems with my goby?

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Bristletooth Tang should be a fine addition. I would go with one of those vs. a Foxface in this scenario, if you only added one. Is this a reef tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish can work in that depth of sand.

The sixline wrasse will limit what you can add, as they dont usually take kindly to fish added after them, particularly other wrasses.

A blenny from the Genus Ecsenius would work, as would a fang blenny. A large bodied anthias such as pink square or bimaculatus. If you want a different tang option, I personally prefer kole to tomini. Bangaii cardinals are also pretty interesting as well.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the six line becomes a problem he can be rehomed I would eventually like another wrasse but for now I want a larger fish as somewhat of a centerpiece.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've decided I'm going to get a blue eye kole tang for sure. I still want something that will spend time on the rocks and some cool inverts.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a couple of tangs that are larger then your six line wrasse, but you got to add multiple tangs at the same time so they develop a pecking order over territory and dont become cut throat to each other.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love six lines but I would ditch the six line because of their aggressive behavior. Do a fairy wrasse instead.

A tomini or a kole tang would be fine in your tank.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed ditch the sixline... I love the shape so I have a pink streak wrasse instead.
if I had your fish list I would add a starry blenny , but the kole would be nice I like the spotted kole...

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got a yellow eye kole from a LFS that received one from a guy that had him in a small tank and he grew too large for it. Got him for really cheap.

Attachments

• 1410534839993.jpg
    1410534839993.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I added a kole a while back so its about time to add something else, do yall thing I could get away with another kole or do yall think an algae blenny or red scooter blenny would work. I need something else to control a little bit of algae since my kole has decided he doesn't want anything but omega on green algae sheets and Mysis shrimp. I am also open to other ideas.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I added a kole a while back so its about time to add something else, do yall thing I could get away with another kole or do yall think an algae blenny or red scooter blenny would work. I need something else to control a little bit of algae since my kole has decided he doesn't want anything but omega on green algae sheets and Mysis shrimp. I am also open to other ideas.

I would be reluctant to add another kole tang in a 75g. Algae blennies are hit and miss as far as hardiness. A scooter blenny wont touch the algae.

Bullet gobies are pretty good algae eaters. Many of the blennies in the Genus Ecsenius do a good job at eating algae(although the midas isnt that great at eating algae), but most stay small and wont venture around the whole tank to eat it.

If you passed your current kole tang on to another home getting a young kole tang helps as the metabolic rate of a young fish is significantly faster than a mature one.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this morning my kole tang was dead. There were no signs of anything wrong I have had him for a month and them boom dead. He was not much of a help in controlling any algae I am looking to get something that will and look good doing so.

Flamed_Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medic, you and I have the same size tank. My tank is overstocked though.
5 blue green Chromis
2 False Percs
2 Pajama Cards
1 One Spot Foxface
1 Yellow Coriss Wrasse
1 Flame Angel
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Blue Tux Urchin
1 Pink Tip Urchin

I got the urchins to control green hair algae, but they never touched it until I bump up my magnesium level to 1400. Once my mag got to that level the green hair alge thinned out. Then the urchins went to work. Now I'm algae free.

OP
OP
T

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medic, you and I have the same size tank. My tank is overstocked though.
5 blue green Chromis
2 False Percs
2 Pajama Cards
1 One Spot Foxface
1 Yellow Coriss Wrasse
1 Flame Angel
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Blue Tux Urchin
1 Pink Tip Urchin

I got the urchins to control green hair algae, but they never touched it until I bump up my magnesium level to 1400. Once my mag got to that level the green hair alge thinned out. Then the urchins went to work. Now I'm algae free.
what did you use to bump up your mag?
I am thinking about adding a couple more chromis, has any of yours picked each other off?
I am also thinking about adding a yellow tang but im not sure about it. I do not want him to outgrow my tank.
Im also thinking about just adding a bunch of cool inverts too.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back