I killed a beautiful fish.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, don't know what I was thinking. :squigglemouth:

I've set up a 29g tank for my wife for mostly clams, mushrooms and LPS's, and a few fish. We came across a stunning,.... 12" spread Green Carpet Anemone that are fairly rare,..... with this color and had to have it.
It, the two Clown Fish and a yellow wrasse are doing great. So, this last weekend a local store had two large (4") Blue Spotted Jaw fish, that we've wanted for a long time, but with our research, their hard to get to eat, but at the store we asked them to feed then and they ate extremely well, so we decide to buy one.Here's the bad news which made us sick and stupid !

Rather than putting him in our 14g quarantine tank, we put him in her 29g, maybe because we were so excited to have him.

In the first 15 minutes he went right to work tunneling two tunnels and he also ate very well.
I thought since he was on the opposite side of the tank and assumed he would stay near his two homes, that he wouldn't wonder over to the Carpet Anemone,
but the next morning all that was left of him was a few bones in front of the carpet.

We've planned at the beginning to set up one of our 40g breeders for a Anemone dedicated tank, which is where "Mr. Berber" (type of carpeting) the Green Carpet Anemone, was going to be in.

We feel so bad, we're not going to add any fish or corals to any of our tank's for quite a while, until we get over our loss.
Patty almost stand home from work today as we're both devastated.

We name all of our fish, because their not just fish, but part of our family. What a bad father I am !
One of the photo's is our computer screen. Pic's are below of "Bob the Builder" (child's tv show)

What a **** STUPID move I made !!!

Kevin

Sorry Bob.....:cry:

P1060164.jpg
P1060167.jpg
P1060169.jpg
P1060178.jpg

Attachments

• P1060179.jpg
    P1060179.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that.

S. haddonis and sandbed fish do not mix.
When it comes to S. haddonis, it is matter of when and not if for them eating one of your fish.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know.

I even read that a hand sized, Naso Tang was a meal for a Carpet.

Last edited:

xtlosx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a S. Haddoni, and as others have said, bottom dwellers don't do well with them. I had one some time back, introduced a Mandarin, and not even 12 hours later, he stumbled right into it. We've had a S. Gigantea for going on two years, and have a Mandarin and not a problem. S. Haddoni are just known fish eaters. Sorry for your loss.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :( Just to warn you, I would strongly suggest doing a lot of research before attempting another Blue Spotted Jawfish. They have terrible track records in the hobby. I had one for 18 months (which is a good amount of time to keep one unfortunately), and will not be trying another again as I don't feel we can provide what this fish needs to survive without creating a species tank. Jawfish also make terrible reef fish, as they constantly dump sand all over corals. Beautiful fish though :/

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :( Just to warn you, I would strongly suggest doing a lot of research before attempting another Blue Spotted Jawfish. They have terrible track records in the hobby. I had one for 18 months (which is a good amount of time to keep one unfortunately), and will not be trying another again as I don't feel we can provide what this fish needs to survive without creating a species tank. Jawfish also make terrible reef fish, as they constantly dump sand all over corals. Beautiful fish though :/

Other than not eating (but ours did) what else do they need ?

We had a orange spotted goby that dumped sand all over as well, but we knew that, so we did not put any corals on the bottom. As long as you don't, they are festinating to watch. !!!

nwreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain, we too name all of our fish and yes corals.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BSJ now for 8 months, and I love the fish. He has made a home under a (supported) rock, and gets along great with all my other fish, be he HATES orange spot blennies... HAAAAATEEES.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BSJ now for 8 months, and I love the fish. He has made a home under a (supported) rock, and gets along great with all my other fish, be he HATES orange spot blennies... HAAAAATEEES.

Nice !

Do any of you place a length's of PVC pipe with rock & sand on top as a pre-made condo ? :wink:

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than not eating (but ours did) what else do they need ?

As I said, you need to do some more research [emoji6] For starters, they need a very cool tank, in the low 70's. Lower than most can run their tanks at year round, which is why I suggested a species tank.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low 70's ?
We'd probably need a chiller, or put a tank inside a refrigerator with glass door on it ! lol

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a friend in the industry, and he said the price's for this fish is coming down.

I see some at $129.00
We paid $85.00

What have you found for pricing ?

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time and first time I seen one in person at the Lfs, that had it for $120. Had read they are delicate and was hesitant on buying. Only for the fact that it is a really beautiful fish and would be ashamed to make it this long only to go I to my tank and die .

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've said, I've had mine for 8 months, and I wonder about the cool tank requirement. My tank hovers around 80 degrees in the summer and 76 in the winter. This last summer a few days the temp spiked to 83-84 degrees. My Blue spot has been fine throughout the temperature swings.

My recommendations:
- have fine sand mixed with crushed coral
- have a sand bed at least 3-4" deep
- have flat rocks that are supported for the jawfish to burrow under
- feed a variety (mine eats everything and is a pig)
- have a secure LID/screen
- no carpet nems
- no large/predatory fish
- no gobies or anything that resembles a jawfish

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've said, I've had mine for 8 months, and I wonder about the cool tank requirement. My tank hovers around 80 degrees in the summer and 76 in the winter. This last summer a few days the temp spiked to 83-84 degrees. My Blue spot has been fine throughout the temperature swings.

My recommendations:
- have fine sand mixed with crushed coral
- have a sand bed at least 3-4" deep
- have flat rocks that are supported for the jawfish to burrow under
- feed a variety (mine eats everything and is a pig)
- have a secure LID/screen
- no carpet nems
- no large/predatory fish
- no gobies or anything that resembles a jawfish

I agree with everything you've written my friend.

When we pick up the new guy, he's going in our 29g quarantine tank that I'm now adding another inch of sand and a few pounds of mixed sized crushed coral and includes several size's of snail shells.
I may even cut a length of PVC pipe under the sand bed.

I'm in the process of setting up a custom tank that with replace the electric fireplace insert that's in out entertainment center.
It will be 36" x 18" x 24" from "Glass Cages", holding 70 gallons. Once it's done, we'll transfer him to this tank.

In back of the wall is my fish room, so all the plumbing and electrical will go through the wall and into a 40g sump.

I'm very excited to get this build done, and it will be awesome to watch this tank from our living room !

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back