Butterfly help!

robert829

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday morning, I did it. I finally broke down and got the fish I have wanted since I began my saltwater journey about 6 months ago... an Atlantic Longnose Butterfly (Rosy Butterfly). I just adore him already. He's beautiful, full of personality, and generally just a great addition. His name is "Spike". He and the flame angel tend to chase each other every now and again, but otherwise everyone is getting along great... but I worried I'm about to run into a problem.
So this guy is supposed to be one of the absolute hardiest and most adaptable of all the captive butterflies, but he's not eating. He originally ate Mysis yesterday, but has completely stopped eating. And I have tried EVERYTHING. My nitrates are going to be through the roof, lol. Anyhow, I have tried frozen mysis, frozen brine, frozen squid, frozen carnivore mix, fresh mussels on the half-shell and free floating, freeze dried brine, tubiflex worms, frozen blood worms, chopped fresh shrimp, flakes, pellets, EVERYTHING! Is it possible that this thing will starve himself to death? And does anyone have any other ideas?

84e09926a3d7adb5f776edeb6789fbdb.jpg

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just got it yesterday, I think you need to just wait for it to be a bit more comfortable. I would only offer food at most twice per day until it eats. You could try using garlic to help entice it if needed. I have never even tried to feed a new fish in the same day I get it.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess with this particular fish is after he went in your tank he found lots of tastier stuff on the rocks. let him get settled in and continue to just feed your tank like you normally would.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dwarf angels didn't eat any added food for two weeks after I got them. They grazed off the rocks and stayed fat though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back