uhm babies??

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shining a light on my crocea which looks to have a pinch on her mantle and im almost certain I see fish babies... at least 3 from what I can see.
Im super confused... I can only assume my wyoming white pair laid them.... my nearly naked are fairly new although they are already paired but they do not come to this side of the tank much. This is the wyoming white territory but wouldnt they be baby sitting if it was theirs?
They seem to have a good hiding spot under my crocea but I can only assume they will not make it. With the flow and the scavenger cleaner shrimp in there they are bound to die no?
I have a video, looking where to host it to post here.
I took a few vids with my phone, this was the best i could get. You can see tiny things swimming.... there is 1 really tiny one by the sand and 2 bigger ones a little higher by the clam shell.
I thought they were bugs first but i def see eyes and belly on the 2 bigger ones and that is swimming movement not crawling...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjmnc1adcedckhx/20140918_220836.mp4?dl=0[/video]

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fishes.. but they wont make it.. if your shrimp dont get them other fishes will

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def tiny fish. I am pretty sure they will not make it either with the shrimp and all in there, but they have a darn good hiding spot... nothing fits in there...
I'm just confused, they could only have come from either set of clowns in the tank but don't clowns baby sit their offspring? None of my clowns go near that clam/rock.
My idea is maybe they laid somewhere else and the flow moved them immediately, thats where they landed and hatched.... So the parents maybe have no idea?

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i can see at least 5 today, there may be more its hard to tell in that small spot. I see a bunch of tiny strings swimming there, and 2 noticeably larger ones. Those 2 are getting dark. So someone told me, maybe one of your new fish came in pregnant.... I never thought of that possibility...
The only other fish that i knew nothing about was my blueface angel....
So my question is, are fish babies all alike? or are they shaped differently?

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are not shrimp... i can see them better in person than that video.... 2 of them already have shape, a tail eyes and a dark belly area...

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so after taking that video just now i looked at the original place of the rock/crocea clam back on the other side of the tank..... There are more under the maxima clam...
They definitely do not look like shrimp at all.... but if they were, where would they come from? My Cleaner shrimp?
Why havent they been eaten?
Since i acquired my Blue Face angel she is always in that spot, I take it as she is shy and hides constantly... But what if she did come into the tank pregnant and she is sitting that spot?
I dont know....
Do they look like shrimp?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're definitely not angle fry, the eggs are fertilized after being expelled and so you would need a male to have viable eggs. You can see some pics of clown fry in various stages in my thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-breeding-forum/166777-picassos-breeding-project.html its hard to believe that any saltwater fry would survive without specialized care though I've heard of bangaii cardinal fry surviving. Maybe if you have a macro lens or know someone who does you can get a decent shot of it, that would make an ID easier.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought that after I posted. So given the fact that I found more under my maxima, they have to belong to my nearly naked clowns. I only have the Wyoming whites paired and my nearly naked paired. The white do not go to that side if the tank at all.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised clowns once and I believe that fry could live a short time in a reef system but once they use up their egg sacs they would starve. There just isn't a high enough density of suitable food to sustain them.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever they are, that's really cool! my clowns have been laying eggs every 10 to 12 days for a little over a year... if they are indeed clown eggs, i would think that you should see more eggs... i know when my clowns are getting ready to lay them, cause Moo, the male, starts super cleaning where they are going to lay them a day or two before... watch your clowns if they are hanging out in a particular area, cleaning like crazy...when the eggs are attached to the rock, mine really don't go too far from where the eggs are... and they lay a lot of eggs too... i used to think maybe one or two would make it in there, but i see the eggs up to the point where you can clearly see the eyes and then, boom, next morning they are gone... keep the post updated! i would love to see what they turn out to be!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do they eat?

They eat rotifer when they are first born, then they progress to baby brine and after they morph from the larvae stage they can eat ground flake food. It was ordeal for me to keep the rotifer culture alive but the baby brine wasn't bad.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am checking in on them, and I start looking everywhere... There are babies everywhere possible... under my plate coral, under my goniopora, in rock crevices all over...
Some even swimming along the floor....
So now I am wondering if these were all from the same hatch/lay or multiple ones...
My nearly naked clowns are paired as they are always together but i do not see any strange behavior from them.
My Wyoming whites are a different story, the male has been pushing the female in a circle then sometimes does this shimmy type thing, looks like he is going into convulsions or something... literally shaking in place like a fool.... he does this often... but still i dont see them protective of anything or anything that looks like eggs in there.
Another thing is my current is pretty strong. Not blowing things all over but for babies it is definitely strong, i just dont have it pointing down so I guess they are ok, but if any of the clowns laid eggs anywhere near the heads, they would def get blown elsewhere... So i am wondering if that happened and thats why there are babies everywhere, or if they hatched and spread out.... Some of them have some really good hiding spots..

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown doing 'the convulsion thing' is def trying to at least woo the female... when mine started to do that, i was so upset because I thought he was sick and dying, but i guess in the clownfish world, it's their version of having their swag on.. lol... as far as the eggs blowing around, i have a pretty strong current too and the eggs stay attached to where they are laid... i hope they make it in your tank... i would love to see what they are... that's the beauty of this hobby, there's always something new happening!

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so question.... I'm afraid to do a water change....
What are your thoughts...
I usually manually siphon about 35 gals out and replace it. But in Manually siphoning i move the hose from spot to spot picking up the water from bottom of tank.
Should i just stick to one spot and not move around...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back