Herbivorous fish in the hobby.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, something struck me today. We don't have any strictly herbivorous fish in the hobby. Atleast none I can think of off the top of my head.
I wonder why that is?
There's probably is a few obvious ones I'm not thinking of, so don't be too harsh if I forgot them lol.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lawnmower Blenny was. Only ate hair algae. Once that was gone, it starved :(

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lawnmower Blenny was. Only ate hair algae. Once that was gone, it starved :(

Sorry to hear that :( they're a great fish.
It's not often we get fish that are herbivorous. Anyone else have any stories to share?

crayon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my lawnmower blennies are fat pigs. I see them constantly picking at the rock, the power heads, where things like to get caught, and I'm sure I've seen them go for mysis as well. So they seem to be opportunistic.

For herbivores, Rainford Goby. They are so small, they don't need much algae. Mine picks at rock all day and ignores any other food that goes into the tank.
My tommini tang seems to ignore flake food and mysis, and grazes the rock, but I am sure he's eating more than just algae as well. Kinda like the lawnmower, I think he's more like a swimming garbage receptacle.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back