Adding fish order.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm usually pretty good with making decisions when it comes to eels, but this situation is something I haven't come across yet unfortunately. Would it be a bad decision to add my snowflake eel to my 120 BEFORE any other fish?
She can be quite aggressive in the 24 gal she's kept in now, but I'm hoping to ease some of that aggression by putting her in the larger tank. She doesn't attack other fish, she just gets a bit too curious at feeding time and if she gets into a bit of a feeding frenzy she can take snaps at my valentini.
The other fish I'll be adding are the valentini which I already own, a foxface, fuzzy dwarf loin and a kole tang. There may be another one or two I haven't decided on yet.
My valentini is my pride and joy, so I don't wana add the snowflake first just incase the aggression doesn't settle and she sees my puffer as a potential meal when he's added later on, but given the location of the tank and such, I'd feel much more comfortable adding the snowflake to the 120 first. It's sort of a catch 22 situation. Any help would be much appreciated.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that snowflake eels hone in on new fish added to a system. I had a snowflake eel climb in to an open top acclimation box to eat a new fish that was actually pretty big. I would try to add the eel toward the end of stocking, but if you get an enclosed acclimation box you may be OK.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I've had quite a bit of experience with eels, but the 24 my snowflakes in now is the first time I've kept one with other fish. Well, first time at home anyway. They've always been in a species tank besides now.
I may have to buy some extra rock now as opposed to later. Once I move the valentini and some extra rock from the 24 into the 120, there won't be enough rock for me to be comfortable housing something as messy as an eel unless I buy more :(
The valentini is the fish I'm most concerned about. I think the fish I plan to add in the future I mentioned above will be safe.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back